8 3/4 axle trouble

-

demon700

Reaction score
I read a thread with the same problem, but mine doesn't seem to want to fix itself so easily.

I have a 8 3/4 suregrip, and I can't get both axles in. I can get one or the other in no problem, but not both. I can actually put one in and not bolt it on, then go to the other side and put the other one in, and push the first one off the studs. A few people mentioned the splines being mis-aligned, but if they were, could I get them in at all? And should I be able to pop one axle out with the other? when the pumpkin is out, and the axles in the tubes where they need to go, there is about 1 1/2 between the two axle splines, is this right, or does it need to be more? I bought the axles seperate. Any help i appreciated.
Thanks

Do the new axles have the green bearings on them?
If so, the spacer in the center of the rear needs to come out.

Yes they do, my guess is the gears gotta come out to get the spacer out, am I right? And should I try this myself, or have it done?

You do have to drop the center section out of the rear.
Getting the piece out depends on which one it is. One of the rears IO had, I only had to grab the two halves and pull them apart. The other rear I had to disassemble to pull it out as a pin went through the center of it.

I've had thi in and out 4 times today, so thats not a problem, looking in it though, it looks like there is a pin about maybe 1/2" in diameter.

I think that is the one that just pulls apart. The two pieces slide together. I think I used a magnet to pull them out.

Thats awsome thankyou very much for your help, I'll give er another go and see what happens.
Thanks again.

These pictures are of the one that you have to disassemble the rear.

center thrust button.jpg

center thrust button2.jpg

I have a similar problem..green bearings..the axels went in but it felt like air prtessure was keeping them aparrt..when you pushed the alel all the way in and let go, it would pop out.

Would this be the same fix..

ian.

-
Back