8 3/4 chunk noise

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I traded my rebuilt 410 chunk for another 323 chunk from another member. Let me start by saying I haven't installed it but noticed when you turn the yoke I have a noise coming from the area right behind the yoke. sounds like a bearing or something squeaking. It doesn't seem to be the main bearing behind the yoke but I've never had one apart soo I'm wondering if there is another bearing and that's making the noise. Any help would be appreciated, I don't really want to bring this in if its something I can take care of. thanks, chris

It might be OK, if it's been sitting a while and things dried out, it could be just a matter of using it.

I would check for any slop, loose tolerances etc. If it seems OK, try and run it.

One thing you could try is spray some WD40 around the front where the seal is and let it work it's way into the bearing, and see if the squeak goes away.

Thanks Bruce, Yeh I tried that already and tried dumping gear oil as well, there seems to be a little play between the yoke and the pinion. but the noise is definitely up towards the yoke. gears look great. is there another bearing up there?

There are 2 bearings on the pinion shaft. Front, near the yoke , and rear near the ring gear. I have seen where someone loosened or changed the yoke and didn't get the preload back on the pinion bearings correctly. What case is it?

Side to side play, not a lot though , and looking at it , the yoke looks newer.. its a 742

If it was me, I'd pull the carrier and have a better look. May need a new crush sleeve.

I think you might be on to something there mitch, I see these yoke removing tools on ebay. maybe it would be worth a look

There is four bearings total , I would take it apart and inspect the bearings and races make sure they look good. That way you know what you are working with . Put a new seal in it and make sure the preload and backlash is within specs.

ok , ill take the yoke off and see what I see. I'll post after I'm done .. probably next weekend since I have to go back to my real job. no one wants to pay me for working on my car lol.. thanks all

JMO, if it was me, I would run it and see if the squeak goes away. Then plan an attack. sure grip?

It's the pinion seal. They will squeal at very low RPM. Spray some penetrating oil between the back of the yoke and the front of the pinion seal. I bet it goes away.

It's the pinion seal. They will squeal at very low RPM. Spray some penetrating oil between the back of the yoke and the front of the pinion seal. I bet it goes away.

I have seen seals make a squeak noise even on running vehicles driven at low speeds, That may be the noise he is hearing.
If it was mine , I wouldn't trust that seal and would want to check everything out while the yoke is off and the third member is out of the housing. Now is the time to do it (winter) that way when cruising weather hits and it's back together you know there won't be any surprises with a bearing noise.

no I didn't contact him.. I wasn't happy at the time when I received it . Its been sitting in my garage for a couple of months. Chances are he knew about the noise when he sent it. I mean the first thing you do is spin the yoke. At this point I just want to move forward in the hopes that its not a major fix. Are the front bearings accessable from the yoke so I don't have to pull the whole thing apart

Dry bearings squeak and growl. Personally I'd get some gear paste and check the pattern. If the pattern was ok, I would run it. It's not like it takes all day to pull the chunk. If the pattern is off, it's probably a tailgate build. I've had those myself too.

I traded my rebuilt 410 chunk for another 323 chunk from another member. Let me start by saying I haven't installed it but noticed when you turn the yoke I have a noise coming from the area right behind the yoke. sounds like a bearing or something squeaking. It doesn't seem to be the main bearing behind the yoke but I've never had one apart soo I'm wondering if there is another bearing and that's making the noise. Any help would be appreciated, I don't really want to bring this in if its something I can take care of. thanks, chris

check to see if the yoke dust shield is hitting the case as you turn it -- they do get bent and will cause the noise you are hearing

. Are the front bearings accessable from the yoke so I don't have to pull the whole thing apart

To check it out right , the whole thing needs to come apart.
I just ran into a similar situation where I was told the sure grip worked great, when I tore it apart to check it I found a bolt twisted off and a couple more about to break. The old sure grips can be another problem if someone has had it apart, the clutch packs can be put in wrong, they have a certain order they go together and its a good idea to inspect the spider gears and internal parts too.
That's the problem with buying something used, you really don't know until its checked out and its probable that those bearings could be the original 46+ year old ones.
Even if it needs all new bearings , your not talking that much parts wise.
It does take some special tools to check pinion preload and set backlash .

http://www.doctordiff.com/drivetrain/mopar-8-3-4/

I took the yoke off today after work. the dust shield had some pry marks and was out of round. cleaned the build up off and will put it back and tork it tomorrow.. I'm hoping this was the mystery squeak. keeping my fingers crossed. , I'll let you know how it works out.Thanks all

I put the strait and cleaned dust seal back on but if I tighten anywhere near 220 it starts to crush the dust shield. Is that the right torque number? I'm thinking beings a 742 doesn't have the crush sleeve and might be a different torque.It started to pinch so I didn't finish and backed it off until it turned smooth?

-
Back