8 3/4 driveshaft question??

-

Youngthrill

69 GT
Reaction score
i have a 69 dart with a 7 1/4 tooth pick ...
im going junk yard hunting looking to get a 8 3/4..

my question is should in be looking for a drive shaft or will my old one work..?
just to make sure a 78 and earler 8 3/4 should fit right??thanks

im runing a 904

You'll need a different drive shaft. Shorter. About 2" Maybe one of the gurus can help you more. Good luck in your bone yard hunt!

72 and earlier. . If you find one it would be a miracle. if you find more than one let me know I coming along next time. Good luck Steve

1974 was the last year any chrysler got an 8 3/4, and the odd's of finding one for an A body in a salvage yard are very slim. You can get any 8 3/4, and have the housing shortend to fit, then you will need to get axles. Your best bet on axles is to buy aftermarket from someone like Moser engineering. The other option is to find a complete A body 8 3/4 on here, or craigslist, either way I will get expensive. As far as driveshaft, I had a new one made for about $250, and it's much stronger then an old rusty original.

going to an 8 3/4 from a 7 1/4, cut 2 1/4 inches from the existing dshaft , you are good to go.

ok good to hear...i have a good drive line shop in the area......so chances are i wont find an a body 8 3/4??i knew that was comeing.. any eary 8 3/4 should work i just have to shortin it??think i have that correct....i just dont want to have to pay and haul this greasy thing around if its the wrong one..thanks fabo....to the junk yard it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depending on the yoke it should/could work. I would suggest measuring the driveshaft length after you get the rear installed. You will want full load on the suspension when you measure it. I swapped out the 7 1/4 for an 8 3/4 in my car and was able to use the same shaft, I measured, took the shaft in and had it shortened and balanced.

Worse case scenario you would have to use a u joint that has 2 different size caps.

-
Back