8 3/4 exact measurement PLEASE

-

sgd128

Reaction score
well here i go with this 8 3/4 that i got from i guy here on this site I KNOW ACE will remember,, so i go and clean it all up and then measure it ( i know i should have done that first BUT took his word) to me its center seat to center seat 43 3/4in and flange to flange 54 1/4..i don't think that what i need is it??? ..this is the ad i got it from ....oh there's NO brake parts at all in this unit..remember this post?? it was shut down...

jayson

jayson's Garage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a-body 8.3/4 rear drum to drum no 3rd member $450.00
e-mail me [email protected] or call 847 456 5598 Thanks Jayson

Yep, we remember this one!

I just ventured into the basement where I have an A-body 8 3/4 rear and if I am doing this right (going by where you asked me to measure??) From outside flange to outside flange mine is 53" and from center to center on the spring mount I get the same, ....43 3/4" Is this where you wanted me to measure?...Let me know, I can measure it anywhere you want it's easily done.

i've gotten so many different measurement from people i just do'nt know whats what anymore?? Is there a part number on the rear end housing any place? tube or ??.. I guess i'll have to get under the car and measure the 7 1/4 thats in it know...RIGHT!!

This chart will help you with some of your problems and clear them up,Mrmopartech

diffchart.jpg

OK ..so what is this crap i bought for 600 ..it measures 43 3/4 center seat to center seat (B)..54 1/4 flange to flange (A)?? i don't see it on ANY charts????

can i use it if i move the spring seats in?? or will it stick out to far?? different off set rims maybe?? or should i sell it and lick my wounds and NEVER buy from someones WORD??? what a waste of $600.. boy i feel like going to St.Charles ILL !!! has anybody heard from this guy??
jayson

jayson's Garage

Is there any part #s on these rear housings??

Sure I have heard of people using b-body rear ends in a-bodys with a different offset wheel or if you use stock rallyes it will just moves them out towards the wheel opening more to help fill it.
What's done is done, for your own sake just move forward and not beat yourself up over it. I know it's tough to do, I've been burnt also but it seem like for every time I get burnt I get an even better deal down the road so it all evens out.

For example I just bought a complete rebuilt with receipts '78 318 on ebay that a guy was cleaning out a storage unit for $100. It included a new set of the MP chrome LA valve covers. When I got there to pick up the motor the guy said that he had to clean out the storage unit and wanted to know if I wanted the engine stand and all of the boxes of other Mopar stuff for free. I gave him and extra $25 for the extra stuff, I have to be able to sleep a little.

So keep you head up your day will come (and so will the guy that sold you the housing also)

Chuck

of all the posts regerencing "how to ID the rear", they all vary :angry4: . One says flange to flange on the A-body is 52.6" another says 51.4" and a third says 52.2" I measured mine at 52.5" on the center to center of the flanges and a solid 53" on the outside of the flanges. My center to center on the spring locators measure 43.75". Mine was from a stock 1970 Duster, had small bolt pattern axles (as it should) and 10 1 3/4 brakes. So I know it's an A-Body rear. Not sure if it helps, just my 2 cents worth on this topic.

NEW exact measurement ..44IN SPRING TO SPRING (B) 54 7/8 OUTSIDE OF FLANGE TO OUTSIDE FLANGE (A)...SO MAYBE THATS 55?? BUT I GUESS THERE IS NO PART # ON THE REAR ITSELF....

is there no number on the driveshaft end? there should be a number on the drivers side where the driveshaft connects into it. look there.

There Is No 3rd Member In It...or Is There One On The Tubes??

ohh... sorry i didn't catch that. i am not sure about the tubes haveing numbers or not , but it is worth a look.

3.JPG

Jayson,you have a 62-70 B body diffy housing.Now you have a couple of chioses,buy special offset rims to fit the diffy housing you have or but the housing ends and new perches to shorten the axle housing.If you need more help,my number is 450 424 0445,mrmoaprtech

mrmoaprtech, I'M NOT JAYSON he's the one i got this from.here on abo..but thats ok ..Now are you saying cut the outer flange off then shorten it to length and get new axles?? that maybe a good way to go..so again i should be at 53in ??

I have to wonder why the (63-72) A-body 7 1/4 is 53.200 and all
of the rest is 51.400. I'm not sure that the 53" is the correct number
that you want.I was thinking about how long were the axles, but at
this point are they the ones for that housing.

Watch the new spring perches you buy. A while back the ones that
MP was selling had a hole dia. that was too large for the spring
location.

If you go this route you could also get the spring inboard kit and
get I think .75 more clearence from the spring, but you need to bring
the perches in .75 more each side. This is just a thought as you need
to move them anyway.

Danny

side note here.
If you go the route of shortening the housing up to your dimensions make sure that the shop that does it checks the housing flange ends for being straight. I have found that when cutting them down a few inches the flange ends usually are not straight..Alot of the housings have a slight bow in them but straigten out to the ends. So when you cut in, you reach the bow and your flange ends will be crooked. Its not that way on all, but I have played that game with a few, mostly from E-body cars though.....weird...
So I thought it my duty to pass that info along. Hope it helps.

-RPM

The only reason I can think of would be because of the 9" brakes may have a different offset on the early 7 1/4's. They still have the same basic axle flange to flange I believe.

Dan0954 said:
I have to wonder why the (63-72) A-body 7 1/4 is 53.200 and all
of the rest is 51.400. I'm not sure that the 53" is the correct number
that you want.I was thinking about how long were the axles, but at
this point are they the ones for that housing.

Watch the new spring perches you buy. A while back the ones that
MP was selling had a hole dia. that was too large for the spring
location.

If you go this route you could also get the spring inboard kit and
get I think .75 more clearence from the spring, but you need to bring
the perches in .75 more each side. This is just a thought as you need
to move them anyway.

Danny

OK thanks to all!! here's the plan ...the 8 .75 will have to have the perch's moved in to 43in center to center ..i'm going to leave the tubes as they are . and get off set rims ....is this good??..can i use 11in brakes ??

-
Back