8 3/4 Gear pattern

-

rusty

Reaction score
I picked up a 489 case with Auburn cone posi for a good deal I thought. Took it apart to inspect because the yoke was off, it has a crush sleeve eliminator in it and 2.91 gears. The pinion has been ground on but wasn't planning on using anyway. The pinion turned with basically no preload when I torq the yoke so reshimmed and got 6 in lbs turning. Put carrier back in and checked pattern. At this point I am just playing with it because I will be changing gears and it has been awhile since I set one up. How does this look? Threw in a pic of the pinion for laughs!

1000005747.jpg

1000005746.jpg

1000005721.jpg

Looks like the pinion is running a few ths. deep, as the wear pattern is running off the heal of the teeth front and back sides of the ring gear.

Screenshot_20240113-194052_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks I am just using this as a learning experience. I will see if I can press the bearing off tomorrow and try again.

I think you can actually make it right simply by moving the ring gear over off the pinion some and then taking the slack out of the other side. Should have the same effect.

I have about .008 back lash where it's at.
I'm not afraid to go to zero and run in the back lash, but I don't think that's enough room to get it done. Probably should move the pinion, but if you're not gonna run it, what's the point other than learning.....and I certainly don't begrudge you doin that.

I'm not a differential guy. Why grind on the pinion shaft like that?

I'm not afraid to go to zero and run in the back lash, but I don't think that's enough room to get it done. Probably should move the pinion, but if you're not gonna run it, what's the point other than learning.....and I certainly don't begrudge you doin that.
In this case I would take shims from under the gear correct? I definitely won't be running these gears, you saw the pinion pic right? Don't know why someone would do that! I has been a while since I messed with a 8 3/4 but put a Eaton in my Ram 2500 about 6 years ago. Appreciate your advice.

In this case I would take shims from under the gear correct? I definitely won't be running these gears, you saw the pinion pic right? Don't know why someone would do that! I has been a while since I messed with a 8 3/4 but put a Eaton in my Ram 2500 about 6 years ago. Appreciate your advice.
Yeah that's right. Unless there's only one shim, then go to a thinner one.

I picked up a 489 case with Auburn cone posi for a good deal I thought. Took it apart to inspect because the yoke was off, it has a crush sleeve eliminator in it and 2.91 gears. The pinion has been ground on but wasn't planning on using anyway. The pinion turned with basically no preload when I torq the yoke so reshimmed and got 6 in lbs turning. Put carrier back in and checked pattern. At this point I am just playing with it because I will be changing gears and it has been awhile since I set one up. How does this look? Threw in a pic of the pinion for laughs!

View attachment 1716191738

View attachment 1716191739

View attachment 1716191740
for a used gear set the pattern is right on ,, should be no issues if you had to run it ,,, but why someone would grind on the pinion that way is beyond any reasonable reason , save the shim under the pinion head bearing for your next set up , add this gear set to your scrap bin.

-
Back