8 3/4 green bearing a body axles fit

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had two sets of 8 3/4 a body axles the same size in my 70 duster
took the other set and installed green bearings on them . When i put them in the housing and put the drums back on i notices that the drum was not as far in as it was before, also notices that i had more back space from my rim to my leaf spring by 1/4 '' so i removed the axle and check them with the ones out off the car
they were the same them when i check the bearing to axle flange i saw the green bearing was 1/4 '' longer than the stock taper bearing set up so i marked the axle splines and reinstall bouth sets of axles and found the axles with the green bearings just made it to the end of the spider gears on the posi the stock bearing axles went passed the spider gear . Has any one sean this before ?

When you run green bearings you have to remove the pins in the cross shaft that you use with adjustable bearings, that might be your problem.

Do you know if this is true with the Moser 4.5 bp axles with Moser roller bearings? I just put these into my a body housing with a 741 sg. They look correct, but I did not measure them before.

If you run the adjustable tapered roller bearings then you have to run the pins in the cross shaft to set axel end play.

I agree the pin could be taking up the needed space to seat the second axle.
You wouldn't need it in there with non adjustable bearings. If that is the problem don't force it by tightening flange nuts. Could damage new bearings. Another area that could interfere is the lock collar against the oil seal inside tube. I am not sure but it may not be needed with the sealed bearings and could be removed if it is holding you up the 1/4".

I removed the center unit and installed the axles they are still 1/4 to far out each side , also put grease on the axle seals and they do not hit the seals . the bearing are pressed all the way on the axles . are there different size green bearings for a and b ? got them from summit racing .

snap ring type? did you press them on backwards? pictures? I know they are not very durable compared to the stock ones, but they usally fit just fine.

I removed the center unit and installed the axles they are still 1/4 to far out each side , also put grease on the axle seals and they do not hit the seals . the bearing are pressed all the way on the axles . are there different size green bearings for a and b ? got them from summit racing .

Ok. But did you remove the thrust pins (clutch type sure grip) or thrust block (cone type sure grip) from the sure grip like CJP4130 mentioned? If you didn't the axles may be hitting them which doesn't allow them to go all the way in

These were not the snap ring type . They had the plates on the bearings so you can not put them on wrong . The center pumpkin was not in when i installed the axle the last time also the pin was removed . I have reinstalled the first set of axle with oe bearings . The only other thing i can think of is that my other set i got are from a early a body and there was some kind of a space difference ?

-
Back