Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedracerX

Still on this side of the dirt member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey gang.. Have no idea if I will explain this correctly but here goes.. my buddy just got the chunk all redone for his 63 Fury.. 8 3/4 with 410 gears.. sure grip... apparently when they were tightening everything up.. theres this 'pin' type thingy in the sure grip that holds the spider gears together (or in place.. however you look at it).. well.. it broke.. We called Randy's Ring and Pinion.. they dont sell that part.. I am wondering if anyone has sure grip parts laying around.. it has to be for the sure grip unit for a 742 case (the one with the buttons) if anyone has any clue what im rambling about or may have the part or knowledge of where to find the parts, please let me know... thanks

This would be the clutch type sure grip im talking about...

I dont honestly know what the parts called.. but if your talking about the buttons that go in the 742 case between the axles held together with a roll pin.. thats not it.. this thingy we're looking for holds the spider gears in place

You need to post a picture. There is nothing that "holds" the spider gears in place other than the case halves?

My guess, he needs a cross-shaft that the spider turn on.

Got to find some used ones. Might call Cass, aka Dr. Diff, He may have one. Or you'll have to buy an entire internal pack kit for a powerlock.

cross shaft.. yeah that might be it...I did some research on the web after that... and from what my friend described and what I am reading.. I think I found a pic of the part (or at least what it looks like broken) .. at any rate, my friend says theres two of these 'pin type things' for the spider gears.. and one of his is broken.. he said its like a pin, but not a pin.. round on the ends and flat in the middle.. so.. if I am right, the pic here is what he needs.. the spider gears ride on this.. I am going to his garage this weekend, so if I get no other news or help by then I will take pics of his stuff, to be sure I am right..

shaft_brokenbut.jpg

Yea it's called the pinion shaft, picture in top left corner, and they must of had something mis aligned real good to break that shaft. Maybe who ever was tightening the bolts needs a course on the proper procedure in rebuilding a sure grip housing. I'd be checking the housing itself to see if they didn't crack something else then take the whole thing to someone who knows what they're doing.

clutch3.jpg

That is a first for me, Like mentioned above, I suspect it was put together wrong. I've never seen one fail like that from normal usage.

Well no need to be overly harsh lol.. the guy that was rebuilding the rear for my friend does know what he's doing.. my bud was helping, and learning.. first rear end set up for him... he thinks he may have accidentally caused the problem.. he was sliding the axles in for alignment check one last time before they tightened everything up for good.. says he saw the spider gears move a little but didnt think it would hurt... so he probably changed the alignment.. he said when they tightened it down they heard something snap.. but at first didnt see it.. everything turned freely and seemed ok.. wasnt until he was getting ready to put the chunk in the car that he saw it... Hey .. **** happens.. accidents are accidents.. at least it was caught before going in the car.. I can only imagine what chaos would've come later... Thanks for the help guys.. much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back