8 3/4 install?

-

951mopar

Reaction score
I am currently assemblying a 8 3/4 rearend. I was wondering from those of that have installed a rearend at home on the garage floor, what is the easiest way to install it? Do you connect the leaf springs to the housing first then install or hang the leaf springs and insert the housing? It is a true A body housing with a 741 3.55 sure grip center section. This is my first install.

In my case, we put the leaf springs in first.. and then inserted the housing..

Like stated, that would probably be the easiest way.. have a buddy line up the other side, hook up the u joint and then bolt it in place and make sure that it is tight.

if you have the springs in the car you can do the install yourself, I slid the rear under the car off centered then jacked up the one side until it was slightly above the spring. Slide the read over the spring and let the jack down. You can then jack up the other side and give it a good tug to get it onto the spring perches

There are a few ways to do it.

Roll rear under car, place on jackstands, install springs at front, then swing up to rear shackle, lower rear down on top of springs.

Put it all together and jack it up, attach front spring mounts to car and swing up.

I've done it myself using both methods.

If everything is out, I would not mount the springs and then try to get rear in if by yourself. It's easier to do it using an alternative method.

Pick your poison!

I did mine by myself by putting the rear under the car on jack stands (a little high), install the springs, then lower the rear down onto the springs....one man job.:toothy7:

If you are assembling it the best way is to attach the Springs,then put your bare housing in place,then third member,axles,backing plates,brakes,etc...That's always how
I do mine and I always do it by my myself. Good Luck.

I have to work alone because Kitty has a heart condition. I put my right rear spring completely in first. I installed the left rear spring in the front hanger and bolted the front hanger with the spring attachet in place in the car, leaving the rear of the spring on the ground. I placed my floor jack under the spring. I worked the right side of the rear end up and over the right side spring with the perch on the outside of the spring to hold the rear end in place.

I put the left side of the rear end on the left leaf spring just on top of the floor jack. Then I jacked the floor jack up into place and attached the left rear shackle. I then manipulated the rear end into place with the perches on top of both locating pins on the leaf springs and installed the u bolts and shock plates.

I assembled the springs,tires,shock plates and hangers to the rear then rolled it under the car as a unit but is a pain in the *** doing it solo if it's posi. I made sure the car was high enough "before" I took the old 1 out and had the shocks removed. It went pretty smoothe. The car had sagging springs and the new SS springs just squeezed under the car.

Attachments

• Picture 928.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Picture 925.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 926.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 927.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Picture 1365.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 276
If the springs are already out I usually attach the front spring eyes, roll the rear end up over the rear of the springs and loosly attach it with the u-bolts and then lift the rear and hook up the rear shackles. Once the rear shackles ar bolted I snug up the u-bolts.

If the springs are already on the car just poke the rear end in from one side. I've got a little garden wagon that is just the right height so I can lift one brake assembly over a spring and sit it down. Then go lift the outer end up onto the wagon. I slide under the car and pull the assembly over the other spring. It workks really well and doesn't scratch a painted or powder coated axle assy.

I have everything out of the car, I am installing new B body springs and shackle kit also. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of putting the springs in first then the housing. I do not have the rims and tires yet, I need to measure for the back spacing. So rolling it all in at one is out. I am going from the original 7 1/4 to the 8 3/4.

I was going with the SS springs, but I was down to Bob Mazzoini's shop in Riverside CA and went with his recommendation of the B body spring for off the line hook up. The man has a lot of knowledge.

I was measuring the green bearing versus the width from the housing edge to the inner lip inside the housing (i do not know what it is called) and the green bearings seem wider, hopefully it fits any thoughts.

Here is a picture it is the second edge or lip.

Attachments

• 8 34 housing.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 240
The shorter driveshaft is on the check list. I keep hearing about the thrust block. My center section is all new, richmond 3.55, new sure grip. Where is the block located? A photo would help if possible.

If you are assembling it the best way is to attach the Springs,then put your bare housing in place,then third member,axles,backing plates,brakes,etc...That's always how
I do mine and I always do it by my myself. Good Luck.

Exact way I did it...

As for the thrust block, I just contacted Dr. Diff and he stated that if I am using a factory A body housing and factory brakes the thrust block does not have to be removed. I am using a factory housing and brakes. I have some sense of relief now. I am using Dr.diff axles and rear drum brake assembly.

If anyone has questions about axles, housings, or anything of that nature he is a good source of information. Really nice guy.

Hope fully this weekend I can get the housing assemblied and in the car. Thanks everyone.

I did mine by myself by putting the rear under the car on jack stands (a little high), install the springs, then lower the rear down onto the springs....one man job.:toothy7:
Great idea. I think I'll do your way putting an 8.75 into my Mazda p/u

stop typing and start wrenching!!!
:finga:

The shorter driveshaft is on the check list. I keep hearing about the thrust block. My center section is all new, richmond 3.55, new sure grip. Where is the block located? A photo would help if possible.

-
Back