[WANTED] 8 3/4 - Main Cap/s

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know the caps are specific to the case? You would be better off buying a complete used case. What number case do you have?

The caps were milled / threaded with the case, so you want a matching set.

Thanks for your offer but I dont need a whole case. The cost of another case plus shipping to Oz is far far more than I want to pay.

Sorry I just noticed where your at. What happened to the old caps?

I dont know. I picked up the case very cheap from a swap meet. I have a set of brand new gears for a 742 case and a rebuild kit but no caps. Its a shame if I cant find caps for it as I have everything to put it together. I am not struggling for cases as I have 3 x complete 489's. I just want to make this 742 complete.

X3, You can't take caps from one case bolt them on another and go......

X3, You can't take caps from one case bolt them on another and go......

Why then can you buy Billet steel caps for an 8 3/4?. I understand that those do require some machine work but im not sure what. I am not getting into a pissing match weather you are supposed to or not. Thats what I want.

If the threads in the billet caps are not machined yet, they could be bolted to & threaded to match the threads in your housing.

You could buy & try 100 used caps & still not find a perfect match since each set was machined & threaded with the case.

I agree that they will need work to make them fit, but regardless I have a set on a 741 case that I'll sell for $10 and shipping

Why then can you buy Billet steel caps for an 8 3/4?. I understand that those do require some machine work but im not sure what. I am not getting into a pissing match weather you are supposed to or not. Thats what I want.
They need machined to match your carrier. I completely agree with the others that you cannot use caps from another carrier successfully. You shouldn't even swap caps from side to side on a carrier because even that can cause a mismatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back