8 3/4 oil and limited slip additive suggestions?

-

Reaction score
Can any one give me a recommendation on what oil and what limited slip additive to use in my 8 3/4? It is the clutch type limited slip. Looking for something I can pick up at a local auto parts store.

Any one know how many qts they hold?

Thanks!!!!

i went and got i think lucas 80-90w and i added a bottle of what they had a orieleys it said sure grip/posi oil on back had a mopar parts # and evreything it was friction lube

I use the Royal Purple synthetic 75W-90. It already has the friction modifier in it.

Further, and this is a big plus, the synthetic is WAY less stinky than the mineral based stuff and regular friction modifier. Regular stuff is gigantic raunchy dinosaur farts, synthetic is small, polite dinosaur farts.

Unless I'm trying to get a killer ET or something, I just fill the pumpkin until the fluid starts to run out of the fill hole. it is usually 2-3 quarts, depending on how much of the old fluid you got out.

If your diffy is new or freshly rebuilt it is advisable to find a large parking lot and do some slow figure 8s after install to spread the friction modifier through the clutches. I have found this procedure occasionally unneccessary with the synthetic as well.

Good luck.

Steve

Most auto parts stores carry Lucas brand 80w90' non synthetic.
On the label it says it's good for all limited slip applications and does not require any special additives.
I am running this effectively in my clutch style 4:10s.

I run Valvoline synpower.Has friction modifier in it.stops limited slip chatter.

If your rear is noisy they also make some 85=140 that helps quiet them down.

Thanks every one!

I have always been to chicken to run the oil that says "good for all rear ends including limited slip" with out adding a bottle of friction modifier. LOL

Different grades and types of oil are available through your dealer and the additive should still be available right through your Chrysler dealer parts dept. Why not keep it all MOPAR parts! I always have some on the shelf Mopar part number is 04318060AB for the Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier

Mobil1 or amsoil just my .02. Do a little online research on Lucas and royal purple. Ill never run that stuff again.

I am in the process of buiolding up my 8 3/4 myself. I just bought the last of my parts and asked Cass what he recommends. He said 1052358 GM friction, 2 bottles. One to use while assembly and one in the rearend. Available at all GM dealerships. He also recomemended 3 bottles SuperTech 85w140. Cass owns Doctor Diff in montana. Good prices and very knowledgeable.

Mobil1 or amsoil just my .02. Do a little online research on Lucas and royal purple. Ill never run that stuff again.

I've never heard anything negative about Royal Purple from anyone but an Amsoil dealer....

I've been using it for years in all kinds of high stress applications with zero problems.

I use the Royal Purple synthetic 75W-90. It already has the friction modifier in it.

Further, and this is a big plus, the synthetic is WAY less stinky than the mineral based stuff and regular friction modifier. Regular stuff is gigantic raunchy dinosaur farts, synthetic is small, polite dinosaur farts.

Unless I'm trying to get a killer ET or something, I just fill the pumpkin until the fluid starts to run out of the fill hole. it is usually 2-3 quarts, depending on how much of the old fluid you got out.

If your diffy is new or freshly rebuilt it is advisable to find a large parking lot and do some slow figure 8s after install to spread the friction modifier through the clutches. I have found this procedure occasionally unneccessary with the synthetic as well.

Good luck.

Steve
Polite dinosaur farts!.. LMAO!!. politely of course!:fart:

-
Back