8 3/4 pinion spacer question.

-

v8val

v8val
Reaction score
Hi all, I don't post on here much, i read a lot, but am hoping you can help anyway. I'm putting a sure grip in my 489 centre, and will use a solid spacer. I can't find the exact info regards using shims. Is the main use of the shims to set bearing preload? Or is it to set pinion depth as compared to the ring gear? I have a factory manual to use. But obviously this is a bit different. Do i just set the pinion with shims for preload, then put the centre in and adjust that for meshing the gears?

Haven't done it before, and shops here want over 500 bucks for doing it. Cheers all, Ben.

............If ur just putting on a suregrip, u dont need to do anything with the pinion.....check ur back lash b4 u take it apart so u can put it back in the same place.....ring gear BOLTS ARE LEFT HAND THREAD,,,,,,,GET TORKED TO 55 FT LBS........yes u need shims with the solid spacer to set bearing preload.....u dont need to shim the rear pinion bearing as u r not changing gears from 1 center to another, or putting in new/used gears from another center...kim....

Pulling out the crush sleeve?

Using an inch/pound dial style torque wrench get the rotational reading before removing the pinion. This should be done with the ring gear out. There is breakaway (higher #) and rotational, you want the rotational.

Once apart, measure the height of the crush sleeve. Make the spacer the same height and reinstall. Check rotational reading. Ideally you'd like it to be the same. Button it up.

Cool thanks guys, very helpful. I did find an awesome article In Mopar muscle mag that explains it too, will post a link later. Would make a good sticky thread. Cheers!

If anyone is wondering, here is the link i mentioned

-http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0308_mopar_rear_end_gears_set_up/viewall.html

Cheers, Ben.

-
Back