8 3/4 price ????

-

canner78

canner78
Reaction score
there is a guy near me with a 8 3/4 for sale out of a duster with 3.55 gears. he is asking $800 for it. i thought that sounded like to much. i am not willing to pay that much. i was wondering is that what they are worth or is he trying to price gouge because there are none around.

there is a guy near me with a 8 3/4 for sale out of a duster with 3.55 gears. he is asking $800 for it. i thought that sounded like to much. i am not willing to pay that much. i was wondering is that what they are worth or is he trying to price gouge because there are none around.

$400-$500 max drum to drum or $300-$400 for 3rd only!

Unless it has a fresh rebuild, is 489 and has the clutch type posi.

my take on it... Seen lots of um in the 400-500s

just my two cent´s..... your lucky with prices like this:lol:

in Germany you would pay a min. price about 1000 or 1100 Euros for an 8 3/4 in good condition:sad1:

Way too high for me. I'd go $400 at the most. Maybe more if it had a 742 case and Sure Grip. Being a Duster, it would have the cone posi, which is worthless after this much time, and perhaps when it was new, too.

If it's a sure grip probably about $600 would be on the high side.

Seen some stupid prices on that type of stuff at swaps out here on the west coast, like 1000+, they don't sell. I sold them from anywhere ranging from 300-600 depending on what they were.

Canner78, keep in mind, if you are doing up a street car and are building 400hp or less, an 8 1/4 rear will meet your needs just fine, and save you plenty of money.

Canner78, keep in mind, if you are doing up a street car and are building 400hp or less, an 8 1/4 rear will meet your needs just fine, and save you plenty of money.

I went with one instead of an 8 3/4 for that reason when I had my 73 with the 360. I got it for 40 bucks at the local yard. The 8 1/4 is a great rearend it's just a pain to try and find one with sure grip or anything better than 2.76.

You can also find an 8 3/4 out of a truck, Van, C, or B body for much less and have it cut down to fit and rebuilt for less! Some of the trucks had 3.91 gears!

Jason
1971 Dart

Canner,the price he is asking could be a good price if you can,t find one with in 500-1000 miles from your home.Does it have large bolt pattern axles?Does it have a sure grip?I sell my A-body diffs,origanal ones with a sure grip and large axles for 800$drum to drum.If you have alot around you great,you can deal,if not your screwed if you need it.Just think,what does it cost to cut and weld on new housing ends.The ends are about 75-100$,cut and weld,150-200$,if you need big bolt pattern axles,300$+ from moser,and shipping.So lets do the math here,if you get stuck with a 3.23 non sure grip A-body diff with small bolt pattern axles,and do it the way you want it,you will have 1200-1500$ in the diff plus shipping of the parts,Oh ya,a sure grip from jegs or randys,is about a 3-400$,so it makes sence to try to talk to the person and show up with 650 cash and get the diff.I still have 2 complete A-body diffs left,if you are coming by this way,mrmopartech

Like Mrmopartech says, take some cash with you & talk to the guy. Maybe you can strike a deal. 20 + years ago I missed out on an AAR Cuda. I'd been trying for a couple of years to get a guy to sell it to me. He kept telling me he wanted $2300 for it. Later I saw him & he told me he'd sold it for $1000, & said "The money looked good at the time." I learned my lesson. Money talks. Worst that can happen s the guy says no.

i bought a 391 sure grip out of a pickup for $200. another $200 getting the axles cut and resplined and new clutches. hes asking way too much.

i bought a 391 sure grip out of a pickup for $200. another $200 getting the axles cut and resplined and new clutches. hes asking way too much.

Congrats, you got a hell of deal, 800.00 is not out of line. Last year a garlits, and at z-hills, they were selling for a 1000.00, with rusted backing plates, no drums and the thirdmember bolted in so you couldn't see what you were buying. NO 800.00 is not out of line, not a great deal, but this is what there getting for them.

-
Back