8 3/4 questions

-

Colohusker

Reaction score
Going to look at an 8 3/4 and just curious what to check on it to see if it's still good enough for a driver?

Are we talking about the whole rear housing assembly or just a center section?

Both, it's disassembled with center section out, axles out. He says it needs new seals, but was planning on replacing the seals and bearings but mainly interested in what to look for on the housing for problems or excessive abuse indicators. If need be, I can replace the center section, but housings are hard to find.

Check the wear pattern on the ring gear, it should be in the center of the tooth, (not too deep, or out near the edge). Look for burrs/chipped teeth. You can hold the ring gear, and rotate the pinion to check for excessive slop. Theres not much to go wrong with the housing, barring a serious accident, or major rust. Good luck.

If the housing is all you are worried about then I'd suggest measuring to ensure is the correct width you want, maybe bolt pattern on the axles and everything looks straight and true. Really, it sounds like you are just buying a bunch of parts, so it gets kinda dicey at some point.

If it's had perches welded on to it and the weld beads are pretty big it may hve warped the axle tube between the perch and axle flange, if so the seal on that side will most likely leak no matter what you do (trust me I've had this issue) So it doesn't hurt to bring a straight edge and chck a few spots.

-
Back