8 3/4 questions

-

rusty

Reaction score
I've got a 742 case suregrip I am putting new clutchpack and bearings in.I have been reading through posts on how to set backlash and pinion depth but haven't seen anything on a pinion nut torque spec.Also seems to be different opinions on side bearing preload,75 ft lbs or just tight with the correct backlash? Help in appreciated,Todd

........IF UR JUST PUTTING IN PINION BEARINGS, U DONT NEED TO SET PINION DEPTH ..use the old shims over...torque the nut to 230 ft lbs....if u check rotating torque 20 in lbs is lots....30lbs give or take on the side bearings..........kim.........

On the side bearing adjusters, the procedure for their adjustment is in the Chrysler service manual. It does NOT list a torque spec, because there is not one. If you simply follow the instructions laid out in the manual, it will be correct.

On the side bearing adjusters, the procedure for their adjustment is in the Chrysler service manual. It does NOT list a torque spec, because there is not one. If you simply follow the instructions laid out in the manual, it will be correct.

I don't have a Chrysler service manual,where can I get one or can I find it online somewhere?

I got mine on Ebay. I don't like the manuals on CD. I prefer the original BOOK manuals because there's less room for error. abodyjoe was postin links with them available as a free download. You might try searching under his name.

They are many ways to get the right answer Alot of the rear diff work is touch feelie ... That is why a lot of people do not do the work... It scares most people to build something where the specs can be referenced differently by manual etc. The bearings have to be tight enough so there is NO move ment and enough preload to suspend the unit too much preload and you will prematurely wear the bearings and stress the caps etc.

Pinion is checked with out a carrier in place there is a rating for USED bearings 10-15 inch pounds of rotating torque and new bearings slightly more at 20-25in pounds. Each manufature has different ratings etc. But when you do many you just get a feel for all this and it becomes second nature.

742 does not have a crush sleeve so it will take plenty of torque on the nut. IF your bearing feels tight you must add shim to the solid spacer shim and try again. Crush sleeve is usually easier as the torque rating is what ever it takes to crush the sleeve and get the preload...NEVER loosen the nuts when doing crush sleeve after getting your p[reload or you crush sleeve is used up. :( Bad thing about crush sleeves...lol. :) Jim

Yup, I posted the factory procedure for carrier bearings right out of the '70 service manual a few weeks ago. I'm not sure exactly if it was in this section or another but run a search and you'll find it.

-
Back