8 3/4 rear axle assembly

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
okay so i have my 8.75 rear with a 3.23 suregrip differential. i also have green bearings on this rearend

right now, its all in peices, the 2 axle shafts, the differential, and the housing.

this is my first rear end swap, so sorry if i sound "stupid", but in what order do you assemble the rear end?

do you bolt up the gears first and then put in the axle Shafts?
what all is required to put the rear end together?
and what exactly do the green bearings mean?

i'm just going to be following my 67 service manual to do the swap, in some areas its hard to understand though.

last question is, do you guys reccomend getting the whole rear end put together first and then installing it onto that car? let me know please and thanks guys!

any comments and suggestions will help me.

no problem ,i wish i could tell you about some of the other things but unfortunatly rear ends is one thing that i'm not hugely framiliar with. someone will be able to help.

right now, its all in peices, the 2 axle shafts, the differential, and the housing.

this is my first rear end swap, so sorry if i sound "stupid", but in what order do you assemble the rear end?
1. Put together the gears in the case
2. Bolt the case with gears assembled to the rear end housing
3. The axles go in last they just slide into place make sure you put the backing plates on too.
what all is required to put the rear end together?
make sure you have the housing gasket that goes between the housing and the case. I also used silicone to insure a good seal
and what exactly do the green bearings mean?
green bearings are just sealed bearings all one piece as opposed to the original style tapered bearings. Make sure you have them pressed on by a shop. it should be just the metal plate the bearings and the collar

last question is, do you guys reccomend getting the whole rear end put together first and then installing it onto that car? let me know please and thanks guys!
much easier to get the gears bolted to the housing out from under the car. the axels could be put in when it is already sitting on the leafs

Hope this helps i am sure there will be other comments with more detail

are the gears and all already in the case and ready to go or do you have to assemble that stuff too?

are the gears and all already in the case and ready to go or do you have to assemble that stuff too?

the entire pig is already assembled and ready to bolt on. just went down to kragens a bit ago and ordered the case to housing gasket, i'd say withing 2 weeks i'll be ready to throw in the rear end! (finishing up welding in trunk and then new tank install and new brake lines)

-
Back