8-3/4 rear end out of pick up

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I have stumbled on an 8-3/4 rearend out of a 1966 dodge 100 pick up. It has a 741 case. Not sure if it is sure grip or not as it is on the ground and no way to spin it. I see an X on the case so I am assuming it is not. Anyway, it is complete with the exception of 1 brake drum. It comes with the springs. I can get this loaded into my the back of my Pick up for 195.00. I am still seeking a rear end for my wifes Dart bracket car that we are building. Is this a good one to get for the Dollar? Or should I pass on it or get it for resale ?????? I have a 489 case that I am going to use for the car. We are going to spool it with 4:56 gears so the 741 makes no matter. Any way I need to know input as I have until tomorrow at 4:00 PM PDT to decide. HELP !!!!!!!! Please.

Thanks for the input.

Doyle

Are you planning on shortening the housing? A truck housing is way to wide. And the spring pads are on the top of the housing and to wide apart. Theres like 7 inches difference flange to flange.

Well I think that that I will need to shorten whatever I end up getting as I am planning on running a 10" tire and moving the springs under the frame. I measured the springs outside to inside and they were about 46 inches apart as best as I could read on the ground. I was just talking to a fell ow MOPAR race buddy and he thinks that I should bag the idea of the 8-3/4 altogether, sell the 489 case and go with a bullet proof Dana 60. Since I am going to have to shorten and get new Axles anyway, and new ring and pinion ETC. What are the thoughts on that one?

good info. But where is here? I have looked all up and down the Willamette valley here in Oregon this is the first 8-3/4 that I have come across. It is 175.00 here if I pull it or 195.00 if they pull it, for 20.00 I was thinking it was worth letting them pull it. : )

here in wa i bought a 742 3:55 with truck 8 3/4 pulled for 75 bucks. put an add on cl and c what pops up

741 case....aka junk town usa

Why is that?

IMHO, They're plenty tough for most any street car. Almost every 8 3/4 I've ever seen fails right where it necks down to the yoke spline, not in the bearing areas. The others it was the caps.

I had a 741 3.91 clutch SG in a SB, 4 speed dart for many years of 5K side steps and slicks/MT ET's.

hey gipperco im down in suterlin oregon not exactly sure where you are but i can usually get b body 8 3/4 rear ends from a guy here in town for 100 if i pick them up here that is complete usually minus springs and perches usually and usually the 741 opens or he sells the case on e bay if its a 489 or 742 in which case you can probably buy the rest of the housing cheaper let me know if that helps and i can get you in contact with him Good Luck Justin

741 case....aka junk town usa

Did you know that the 741 or "weakest" of the three 8 3/4 measures 1.375 at the largest part of the pinion. And the "stronger" 9" ford measures 1.313? The 741 is plenty tough and can take more than a little abuse.

Well I think that that I will need to shorten whatever I end up getting as I am planning on running a 10" tire and moving the springs under the frame. I measured the springs outside to inside and they were about 46 inches apart as best as I could read on the ground. I was just talking to a fell ow MOPAR race buddy and he thinks that I should bag the idea of the 8-3/4 altogether, sell the 489 case and go with a bullet proof Dana 60. Since I am going to have to shorten and get new Axles anyway, and new ring and pinion ETC. What are the thoughts on that one?

Now your talking bullet proof! If you can afford to go this route ,do it. Never be affraid to buy the best, you won't be dissapointed.

alotta guys around this area will only use 489's.....easier to find parts...and they think they are tougher....

-
Back