8 3/4 Rearend Question

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
I pulled my 8 3/4 rearend out of my Duster last week for a rebuild and axle upgrade ($345 for axles!!!Moser axles with Green Bearings, Better be worth it) and give my old cut down C Body axles away. My question is do I install a drain plug in this rearend or leave it stock (it's an original A-Body rearend)? I do change the rear center when I go racing this is why I ask.
To bad its not a cut down C Body and then I would care and just put one in it.

If it was an original car Dana rear then I wouldn't mess with it but it is just an 8 3/4. A drain plug and top fill plug sure would be nice if you are always changing the pumpkin.

Chuck

It's not original to the car (mine was a S6 when new, but has built 340). Part of me says do it, other part say no its original rear. Reason for rebuild Disc brake upgrade and full synthetic fluid going into rearend.

Sure. Do it. Add a drain plug. It is much less of a hassle. Just pull the plug, drain the oil, pull the pumpkin without oil spilling everywhere. :) It is also reversible if you want it "original" again....weld it shut, grind it smooth, and paint over it...No one will ever know....

I relocated the spring hangers on my "original" 8 3/4 and sleep just fine at night. I now have a narrowing jig and could build another housing to A-body width, put it in my car and know one would ever know.

Chuck

Nice, Drain plug is goin in. Any tips on what kind to install? I'm think more like the fill plug on the center section.

Nice, Drain plug is goin in. Any tips on what kind to install? I'm think more like the fill plug on the center section.
Any drain plug will work. An old one from an oil pan you have laying around...one from a tranny pan...Or just go to NAPA and look at there drain plugs, see what they have...Or yea, go to ACE hardware and get one of those brass square head pipe plugs....Use whatever drain plug style that tickles your fancy. :)

-
Back