8 3/4 rebuild parts help

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello FABO friends. I am rebuilding the 8 3/4 axle I got out of a B-Body to install in my A-Body. I tore it down to a bare housing, cause I have to move the spring perches 1/2" in on each side, and I'm gonna rebuild it. Where would you guys suggest I get the parts? I'd like to stay with the standard tapered bearings, and I need new seals and everything. Where is the best place to get a bearing and seal kit? Also, I need new lug studs to get rid of the left hand threads, and also new spring pads with the 1/2" centering hole.

Now for the brakes, I need new drums, shoes, and a drum brake hardware kit (with all the springs and such) and a adjusting kit. Where should I get all the parts at? Brakes are the 10x2.5" I can find some of the parts on rockauto.com.

i am curious as to where to get drum stuff as well. I am in the same situation as well.

Hey there. I got all my stuff at Rock Auto. That included Drums (10X1-3/4), Seals, Bearings (OEM), Wheel Cylinders, Etc. I still have to get the brake line though, I am not sure where to get that. Sometimes their shipping seems to be a bit high, you have to try to get all the stuff shipped from the same location or they charge multiple shipping fees.

You can get a lot of the seals, perches and stuff from Mancini. The brakes I would go with the Rock Auto suggestion. The bearings probably Rock Auto also. Good luck with the rebuild, Geof

I got all my stuff from O reilly's, NAPA and Bumper to Bumper.

Almost all of the stuff you need for that rebuild, including the flexible brake line, were still available at Car Quest a couple years ago when I last did one.

I wasn't really happy with the spring/hardware kits, as they had a lot of extra parts since they have consolodated part numbers.

Wheel studs will be real simple, or they should be.

If Car Quest has it, I am sure jefflock is right about NAPA and the others.

Well, I got the spring perches from summit, and wheel studs and brakes covered, got those at NAPA... all I really need are the tapered bearings and inner and outer seals. (foam & thin steel gasket). But I also need the axle/bearing retainers and also the threaded axle adjuster...I dont think i can fix mine..its too beat up

I got my bearings at Randy's Ring and Pinion.
I just used Mopar Diff RTV instead of all the little gaskets.

And BIG warning. If you get your drums at AutoZone, look at the hub-center hole. Mine had little "ramp" around it that would've kept the wheels from seating proper (Drums were made in China, of course).

I sent a pic to Rick at Moparaction and he put in the tech tips a few issues ago.

The area around the hub-hole needs to be flat.

The 8 3/4 brake kit I got several years back from Checker/Autozone came with a lot of springs and other parts that didn't fit. I ended up having to re-use a few parts salvaged from the 7 1/4 that was being swapped out. So don't throw away all those old bits unless you're sure you won't need them.

-
Back