8 3/4 SBP axles with 408 cu in???

-

ShowAndGoResto

Reaction score
Hi, I'm building a 408 stroker with approx 500 HP/500 ft lbs....
How well do the Small Bolt Pattern factory 8 3/4 axles hold up? Are they the weak link? Should I be looking to upgrade....
I have the MP sealed axle bearings too and plan to drive the crap out of this car with LOTS of steering/suspension mods.

It's a 70 Duster with 727 and 15-7" small bolt pattern 5 slot mags.
I want everything to be bulletproof as I plan to do everything with this car..

Thanks

I have both Moser and Strange axels behind both my cars.Both have stroked engines 372 and a 410.I feel saver upgrading to hardened axels and don,t think the stock axels could handle 500ft lbs.I could be wrong,but didn,t want to chance it.

X2 with pettybludart. Go get yourself a set of moser or strange axles with the BBP, this will hold up no problem and also just opens up doors to a much, much wider wheel and tire selection.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks. Thought I should ask what other guys have done/seen. Didn't really want to change my brakes and I have Mint 15-7 Alum 5 slot SBP wheels I planned to use....

If you get traction you probably want to get new axles. I`ve got a set of Moser sbp in my Barracuda with 500c.i.. So far, so good.

brother in laws duster (73) had a herb mccandless 451 with a glide on a 9" slick with 4.30 gears and ran a best of 6.20 in the 1/8 mile on stock susp. good front end rebuild and go back shocks..that car had my stock 8 3/4 axles in thecar that was redrilled to big bolt patt. never a problem..lucky i dont know but that was about 5 yrs ago and the car is still going from time to time...

Step up to the Mosers now..i ran the stock axles when i first put the 416 in my duster proceded to snap the wheel studs off the driverside axle hooking up at the track,then snapped the pinion yoke off a few weeks later, i now run the Mosers with the 1/2" studs and a billet pinon yoke.haven't broken anything in 2 plus seasons:thumleft::thumleft:

I already have 1/2" wheel studs in the rotors and axles - both SBP...
and 489 carrier w Randy's Ring and Pinion yoke, pinion spacer, Yukon gears and new clutch sure-grip.

-
Back