8 3/4: Shorten or New?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Well, 300+ bucks to shorten my existing 8 3/4 or Moser has a brand spankin' new fabricated housing for $530. I don't have a pic of the Moser but I have seen one and it is really, really nice.

This would be for a '72 Duster with a 500 to 600 hp stroker and who knows, maybe a BB in the future. Which would you do and why.

I wouldn't cut an A body 8.75 ,there are plenty of B & C out there to be cut down LOL, the Moser don't sound bad, go for it

3 bills to shorten a rear is really steep.

There are people in California that will do it for $50-150

You might want to look around if that the cost to shorten just the housing.

Dr. Diff sells Powder coated 8 3/4's for around $300.

Is your car strictly race? If so, the Moser is cool. I love the fact that they are making brand new housings for the 8.75.

But if you are considering keeping it traditional in any way, the housing looks a little funky IMO

msr-mo875-hsg-a.jpg

What would I do...

If it's a race car deal

I'd shorten a truck Dana 60, spool, gears, axles. If you are frugal you can do it for right at $1000.

I have some an 8.75 that I have almost $1500... and it's still an 8.75!

Street car, you can still do a Dana for the same cost as a 8.75. Power lock Sure grips for Dana 60's are much easier to get than for 8.75's and really cheap. You can find them in boneyards pretty easy.

Map out the cost of axles, pumpkin, etc. It adds up fast on the 8.75

I have a deal going right now for a Shortened Mopar Dana 60 with pinion snubber, 4.56, perches moved for relo kit, axles, brakes, long studs... delivered for $1000. I don't have to do anything but bolt it in my Duster.

They are out there, takes some looking.

I wouldn't cut an A body 8.75 ,there are plenty of B & C out there to be cut down LOL, the Moser don't sound bad, go for it

Mine's out of a truck.

3 bills to shorten a rear is really steep.

There are people in California that will do it for $50-150

You might want to look around if that the cost to shorten just the housing.

Yeah, pretty damn pricey. Were not blessed out here with a bunch of knowledgeable chassis shops.

Dr. Diff sells Powder coated 8 3/4's for around $300.

I'll check them out, thank you!

Is your car strictly race? If so, the Moser is cool. I love the fact that they are making brand new housings for the 8.75.

But if you are considering keeping it traditional in any way, the housing looks a little funky IMO

A little funky is right. I must've forgot what they looked like. That would blow my sleeper build, lol!

What would I do...

If it's a race car deal

I'd shorten a truck Dana 60, spool, gears, axles. If you are frugal you can do it for right at $1000.

I have some an 8.75 that I have almost $1500... and it's still an 8.75!

Street car, you can still do a Dana for the same cost as a 8.75. Power lock Sure grips for Dana 60's are much easier to get than for 8.75's and really cheap. You can find them in boneyards pretty easy.

Map out the cost of axles, pumpkin, etc. It adds up fast on the 8.75

I have a deal going right now for a Shortened Mopar Dana 60 with pinion snubber, 4.56, perches moved for relo kit, axles, brakes, long studs... delivered for $1000. I don't have to do anything but bolt it in my Duster.

They are out there, takes some looking.

Thanks cracked!

This is definitley a future project, but I like to think ahead of the curve. It won't be a 100% race car and i'd actually like it to handle well too. I have a kind of stealth/g-machine/sleeper project in mind. I want it to look like not much more than a nice restored Duster at first glance. A Dana 60 I think would be overkill but you are absolutely right, after the money is spent I would still only have an 8 3/4.

I already have the 489 3.55 sure grip center section and the housing. I had to pull it out in some guys driveway but he had a torch and an air hose ready for me. Cost only $100. Made me realize how old I'm getting carrying that rear end and stuffing it in my 4Runner daily driver. I hurt for a couple days after that, lol! Next time I'll pull the axles and center section instead lifting the whole damn thing.

So, in my minds eye I'm seeing Moser axles and a cut housing, maybe with some reinforcing brackets welded on. I can do that myself. I'm trying to keep unsprung weight down and keep a sleeper look.

I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist and some feelers out in regards to a decent shop out here. We'll see what I find when I get the cash saved up.

Thanks cracked!

This is definitley a future project, but I like to think ahead of the curve. It won't be a 100% race car and i'd actually like it to handle well too. I have a kind of stealth/g-machine/sleeper project in mind. I want it to look like not much more than a nice restored Duster at first glance. A Dana 60 I think would be overkill but you are absolutely right, after the money is spent I would still only have an 8 3/4.

I already have the 489 3.55 sure grip center section and the housing. I had to pull it out in some guys driveway but he had a torch and an air hose ready for me. Cost only $100. Made me realize how old I'm getting carrying that rear end and stuffing it in my 4Runner daily driver. I hurt for a couple days after that, lol! Next time I'll pull the axles and center section instead lifting the whole damn thing.

So, in my minds eye I'm seeing Moser axles and a cut housing, maybe with some reinforcing brackets welded on. I can do that myself. I'm trying to keep unsprung weight down and keep a sleeper look.

I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist and some feelers out in regards to a decent shop out here. We'll see what I find when I get the cash saved up.

Since you have some parts already (SG, 3.55, 489), don't plan on transbraking, then an 8.75 is a good alternative. Beating it like a dead horse, Dana...

If it's an A body housing, I'd sell the housing/axles/brakes you have for 400-500 to offset some cost and buy a shortened one and BBP axles from Dr. Diff. Probably get the whole deal shipped for under $100. I had a pair of stock length A body yukon axles shipped from Iowa to SoCal for $29. A housing might cost $50, big, but light.

8.75 sounds like the way to go for you.

Since you have some parts already (SG, 3.55, 489), don't plan on transbraking, then an 8.75 is a good alternative. Beating it like a dead horse, Dana...

Agreed 100%. I know someone will get on and say that they run low 10s all day long every weekend with an 8 3/4, but if I was running a trans brake and slicks I'd do the Dana.

If it's an A body housing, I'd sell the housing/axles/brakes you have for 400-500 to offset some cost and buy a shortened one and BBP axles from Dr. Diff. Probably get the whole deal shipped for under $100. I had a pair of stock length A body yukon axles shipped from Iowa to SoCal for $29. A housing might cost $50, big, but light. 8.75 sounds like the way to go for you.

It's either a truck or C body rear. I got it out from under a '79 Ramcharger but I know they didn't offer it that year so I'm thinking mid 70's truck or C-body as the springs seemed squeezed in to fit the axle and popped when I cut the u-bolts. I could sell the big drum brakes.

Thanks for the shipping info and another vote for Dr Diff I see. I'll check them out for sure.

-
Back