8 3/4 splitting the carrier from the housing.

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Afternoon enthusiasts

Last night we tried to pull the carrier from the housing after pulling the axels and drive shaft and had no joy. When we put the housing together we used no paper gasket but utilized black gasket maker. This sucker is solid. What’s the secret to get this apart? Steps we took. Pry bar and hammer to sealing joint. No go. Jack under the snout and applied a bit of pressure and some hammering work. No go. What’s the secret?

Brandon
Follow the build here …..Slow build 71 Scamp 440

Last edited:
Start with a thin gasket scraper and tap it between the case and housing in several places all around the housing. It'll break loose.

Like these?

IMG_3333.jpeg

I normally start with more of the putty knife style of scraper and that normally does it. With one of those types, you have a chance of breaking the case at the flange where the bolt holes are. Those are pretty stout scrapers. With really stubborn stuck cases, I've used the putty knife and then moved up to something like those, but they can be a little much right off the bat. Lastly, you'll want to thread a nut or two on a few threads on the off chance the case pops off all at once, it won't hit the floor, or land on you. Normally the studs keep it from doing that, but better safe than sorry.

I would use a basic putty knife and start slowly just as RustyRatRod suggests. Put a nut for two on the Center section, loosely, so it doesn’t pop right of and crush your toes or worse…

IMG_4565.jpeg

Several pieces of dental floss, old guitar string windshield removal tool. I mostly use a thin putty knife and hammer.

If you haven't done it yet make sure you leave a couple of nuts like 2 threads on when you break it loose.. it will try to kill you...

lol. You probably just saved my life. Hahaha
Yeah.. those bastards are damn heavy and accidents happen... they seem much heavier now that i'm 53 than at 23 :)

P.S. i used indian head on mine.. it's gonna take a big hammer and chisel to get apart..

I was gonna suggest the ratchet strap (edit: or come-along)to the pinion yoke on one end.... and anything solid on the other.
Just don't be under the car, and make DAMN sure the car won't move (read:fall off the jackstands!)

And, for a third time, leave a few nuts on a few threads.

Last edited:
-
Back