8 3/4 swap

-

72scampi

Reaction score
Getting rid of my 7 1/4 finally. Putting in 8 3/4 with 456s and a posi mounting hardware from a near by trailer supply store.cutting off the shock tabs from my old hardware and welding them to my new hardware has anybody done it this way? Any thoughts or ideas?

Interesting,bump..... (why not find stock ones,too expensive?).

So I live on oahu where mopar people are scarce ,and parts are hoarded severity piles guarded by us special forces. The reason nobody uses trailer parts is the spring is narrower cars so are the backing plates . What I have now is traction bars for a fifty five Chevy .it fits the spring s and axle tubes and the Sumner lands perfectly on spring eye only thing I got to do is relocate the shock mounts on th 55 it mounts ewa of the axle on scamp its forward. Ill post pics when I can

before

Attachments

• scamp1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 266
  • scamp2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 258
mock up

Attachments

• scamp3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 265
  • scamp4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 250
getting there

Attachments

• scamp5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 276
  • scamp6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 271
it works just need to relocate the shock mount from front of the traction bar to the rear

Attachments

• scamp5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 261
  • scamp6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 257
  • scamp7.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 252
I did on my 67 Valiant. Moved the springs in .800" and put on a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/As 275-60-15s. Plenty of clearance.

8.75 shock plates fit in a USPS flat rate box. They are not bad from a cost perspective.

Bust out the welder and get top work moving the shock mount. It's a time or money deal at this point.

I drag race every weekend 1/8 mile and literally live 2 miles from work I have a 2012 charger if I ever want to go far. This rear end was to cheap to pass up I have lots a time and not enough money I allready welded the shockimount inboard I don't buy any parts from people causse I live in hawaii if iget screwed on the wrong or defective parts it really sucks

I drag race every weekend 1/8 mile and literally live 2 miles from work I have a 2012 charger if I ever want to go far. This rear end was to cheap to pass up I have lots a time and not enough money I allready welded the shockimount inboard I don't buy any parts from people causse I live in hawaii if iget screwed on the wrong or defective parts it really sucks
My brother and I were based in Hawaii and would go to the drags there quite often. That was in the late 70s. I still have photos from there. Bill

The 8¼, Dana 60, and 8.75 have 3 inch diameter axle tubes. The clips (u-bolts) and plate assemblies interchange. Suggest contacting someone like Desert Valley Auto Parts

http://www.dvap.com/

to see what they would charge for the plate assemblies. The clips can be hard to get off without breaking. Some trailer stores have u-bolts for a 3 inch axle, but I'm leery of Chinese metallurgy and won't use them. They are still available from Mopar.

3491 296 Clip (4 req) 6023 019 Nut (8 req)

These are the old part numbers, so someone will need to be able to bring current. IMO, the clips and nuts from a Dakota would work.

http://www.dvap.com/

My brother and I were based in Hawaii and would go to the drags there quite often. That was in the late 70s. I still have photos from there. Bill

hey bill thats awesome that you have those pics, that old trackgot torn down its now a quarry. we race on whats left of the shut down portion of the track we rent the property every weekend from the owners closest thing oahu has to a track

-
Back