8 3/4 talk.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
So thinking of an 8 3/4 for the duster next year.I know it small bolt.can the axles be pulled out drilled to the large bolt and the drums,i want to reuse my Cragers from the 8 1/4 rear thats in the duster now.

Yes. New holes should be drilled IMO and dynamically balanced.
But I purchased new axles from Dr. Diff instead. It just made it easier to do and get stronger axles for the intended build.

You can take your brake set up from the 8 1/4 (backing plates and drums) and switch them over to the 8 3/4. Than all you will need is a pair of big bolt pattern axles for the 8 3/4. I got mine from dr. Diff for 300$. My scamp had a 7 1/4 rear originally and I took the backing plates from that and put them on my 8 3/4, new shoes and hardware and new drums all from Napa.
Than you will need to look at the driveshaft length.

Yes you can drill them but you need to drill the flanges precise. The drums are more lenient as they roll off the axle register.
These are screw in 1/2"-20 in mine. Notice how close to the OD they come and that the SBC holes have been filled also.
redrilled1.jpg
Drum6.jpg

Why are you changing to an 8 3/4? If you've got an 8 1/4 and anything less than 400 hp there's really no point in switching unless you want to have a couple extra 3rd members for the 8 3/4 to swap back and forth to change the gears for different occasions.

Heck for a street only car the 8 1/4 would probably handle more than that.

And if you re-drill the SBP axles you have to use the SBP brakes still with re-drilled drums. That SBP brake stuff isn't the easiest to find all the time.

Why are you changing to an 8 3/4? If you've got an 8 1/4 and anything less than 400 hp there's really no point in switching unless you want to have a couple extra 3rd members for the 8 3/4 to swap back and forth to change the gears for different occasions.

Heck for a street only car the 8 1/4 would probably handle more than that.

And if you re-drill the SBP axles you have to use the SBP brakes still with re-drilled drums. That SBP brake stuff isn't the easiest to find all the time.
I have 276 with the 8 1/4 trying to find a 323-355 in great shape 8 1/4 in Canada is like pulling teeth,8 3/4 are dime a dozen.

No way would I change out the 8.25. It is arguable you would be backing up.

I have 276 with the 8 1/4 trying to find a 323-355 in great shape 8 1/4 in Canada is like pulling teeth,8 3/4 are dime a dozen.
Junkyards and Dakotas...... and some years of full size pickups,

One other consideration. If you keep the tapered roller bearing s/u in the 8.75, it will handle lateral loading better. Important for those of us building corner carvers or auto x cars. Not so much for straight line speed.

I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think there's an appreciable difference one way or the other.
In the street, only the on approaching the extreme side would I say there is a difference. In mild builds, under 450, I really wouldn't worry about it in the street.
Now if your going to hound on the car with sticky tires and a heavy car, I'd suggest that a move be made to the larger rear.
And I agree with the above, I am sure it can handle more power.

Definitely take a look at the Dakota for a donor 3.55 or 3.90 LSD. The 3.90 is what is in my 97 Dakota with a 330 hp 318 and it has had zero issues. And it doesn't get driven easy.

Definitely take a look at the Dakota for a donor 3.55 or 3.90 LSD. The 3.90 is what is in my 97 Dakota with a 330 hp 318 and it has had zero issues. And it doesn't get driven easy.
so what mods have to get done,can be an direct bolt in?

A Dakota rear into a "A" body? No I do not think so. Not directly at least.

It would easier to take the gear set out and swap it over. The suregrip has a different spline count IIRC, but it is useable in the A body. Custom axles then would be needed.

Jeep cherokees, and grand cherokees of certain years have 8&1/4 rears, and decent gears. Should be plenty of those in the junky up your way. Find one with 3.55s or 3.73s and a sure grip, and swap it all into your 8&1/4

8&3/4 a dime a dozen in canada?? Send some to west texas. I cant find anything out this way.

8 3/4 A body rear ends are a dime a dozen in Canada??? That's not the case in western Canada. Post up some links that show they plentiful in eastern Canada! There might be more 8 3/4 rears for sale than 8 1/4 rears but ALL the 8 3/4's will be more expensive than the 8 1/4's..... And it's not like the 8 1/4 sell for a nickel and the 8 3/4 sell for a dime.

8 3/4 A body rear ends are a dime a dozen in Canada??? That's not the case in western Canada. Post up some links that show they plentiful in eastern Canada! There might be more 8 3/4 rears for sale than 8 1/4 rears but ALL the 8 3/4's will be more expensive than the 8 1/4's..... And it's not like the 8 1/4 sell for a nickel and the 8 3/4 sell for a dime.
kijiji go to ontario search for mopar that drive train and transmission.

A Dakota rear into a "A" body? No I do not think so. Not directly at least.

It would easier to take the gear set out and swap it over. The suregrip has a different spline count IIRC, but it is useable in the A body. Custom axles then would be needed.

I was definitely referring to the gear set swap. Dakota rearend is way too wide for an A-body. I think they are 61" wide if I remember correctly.

-
Back