8 3/4 tapered to flanged

-

TheDeputy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is working on his 63 savoy, and making a max wedge clone out of it. The car came with the feared tapered axle 8 3/4 rear.
Is it possible to convert this axle to the regular flanged design axles, by just using some B-body axles?

Thanks,

Antoon

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is working on his 63 savoy, and making a max wedge clone out of it. The car came with the feared tapered axle 8 3/4 rear.
Is it possible to convert this axle to the regular flanged design axles, by just using some B-body axles?

Thanks,

Antoon

There is no way to convert a tapered axle to a flanged axle using any stock parts. Your better of using a rear end out of a 65 - 70 b-body.

I don't think there is any factory axles that would be the correct length but you might try calling Dr. Diff and see if Cass can make you some axles. If anybody would know it'd be him.

Ok, Thanks.
I'm not even sure it's possible at all, considering the depth of the seal and bearing.

Antoon

No way. These housings used a completely different housing end and used shims to set the axle end play. Only thing to do is change housing ends or use a 65 or newer housing.

Hello , I have a 1968 B-Body 8 3/4 housing and axles . I think it could be sent UPS in two boxes . It is 55.00 flange to flange with 44.00 between the spring pads . 180.00 plus the shipping . Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Thanks,

Steve Dameron
510-785-1595
rearend004.jpg

rearend003.jpg

rearend002.jpg

rearend001.jpg

The ends are definitely different. I had a set cut off and ready to lathe for reattachment. Grabbed a gasket and the hole spacing is different.

-
Back