8 3/4 to Dana 60

-

cpearce

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to make the swap from 8 3/4 to Dana 60, what is entailed with this swap other than shortening the driveshaft? Things I am unsure of are brakes, and shock plates.

you can use the brakes off the 8.75 .
Not if they're small bolt pattern- the OP didn't say.
Shock plates and U bolts, yes.
Snubber pattern is different, and not all Dana 60s have provisions for one (if it's based on a truck housing, for example).

Last edited:
Not if they're small bolt pattern- the OP didn't say.
Shock plates and U bolts, yes.
I have upgraded to LBP, however I still have the sbp brakes and backing plates. I had Dr. Diff make me axles with same stand off, just drilled for LBP.

Then they're a no-go. The offset will be different on the Dana.
Ok, thanks. So I need to convert to B body brakes to make the swap? That would mean I need to find out the stand off of the B body brakes vs. my A body brakes, then cut the housing accordingly to arrive at the same overall width?

Don't forget to have the jack ready to put it in because it's a little heavier than the 8 3/4, although I need a jack for the 8 3/4 when I put it in.

cpearce, On my Dana 60, I have Moser axles and ordered them with the same offset and center hub as the A-Body 8 3/4. I had them drilled with both the 4 inch and 4.5 inch bolt circle and just drilled the 10 inch drums for the LBP. That way the the wheels and tires fit exactly the same as they did with the 8 3/4 axle.

cpearce, On my Dana 60, I have Moser axles and ordered them with the same offset and center hub as the A-Body 8 3/4. I had them drilled with both the 4 inch and 4.5 inch bolt circle and just drilled the 10 inch drums for the LBP. That way the the wheels and tires fit exactly the same as they did with the 8 3/4 axle.
Great to know, thank you!

I tried to edit the part for the off set on the axles to read,
"same off set for the 10 inch backing plates and center hub as the A-body 8 3/4".

Stock tank may require modifications given the size of the center of the Dana.

Contact @davescuda as he went through this with a 68 Barracuda and 3” exhaust with a stock tank.

i have a dana 60 in my duster, didn't have to modify the tank. it fits, if you use one of those thick back covers, yes, a steel cover fits easily.

I went from an 8-3/4 to a Dana when I mini-tubbed my Challenger. I custom made mine from a 1 Ton Dodge truck axle, so no pinion snubber. However, I am running Caltracs with split mono leafs so the snubber was not needed.

20161206_210452 (004).jpg

20161210_153534 (003).jpg

100_1716.JPG

20170126_212400 (003).jpg

Then they're a no-go. The offset will be different on the Dana.
Only if I'm using existing dana 60 parts, correct? If I am having a new S60 made, is there any reason I can't have it set up to use my existing brakes?

Only if I'm using existing dana 60 parts, correct? If I am having a new S60 made, is there any reason I can't have it set up to use my existing brakes?
Talk to the person/company building your rear. If they can do it, go for it.
With the A body brakes, you're stuck with 10x 1.75 shoes.
With B body you get 10x 2.5 or better. Your call.

Last edited:
-
Back