8 3/4 What are my options?????

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the rear end done for my dart and I'm not sure what to do for brakes. I have a b body housing which I am going to have narrowed soon, and a set of sbp axles for it but no brakes. What brakes can I put on this thing? I wanted to go disc but that seems like a last resort as I don't know of any sbp 14" wheel kits. So I would need new axles, wheels and tires along with the brake kit which will be pricey. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

10 drums...who needs disk brakes on the rear anyway? Ypur limited for sure unless you go skarebird and redrill the Toy rotors.

I do have the b body 10 in backing plates and wheel cylinders

I think I have the 11" backing plates and not the 10" ones, I think that was my issue.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the rear end done for my dart and I'm not sure what to do for brakes. I have a b body housing which I am going to have narrowed soon, and a set of sbp axles for it but no brakes. What brakes can I put on this thing? I wanted to go disc but that seems like a last resort as I don't know of any sbp 14" wheel kits. So I would need new axles, wheels and tires along with the brake kit which will be pricey. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

You might check these out. Give the guy a call.

http://stores.checkeredracing.com/b...-4-mopar-dana-60-with-drilled-slotted-rotors/

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards drums but have some questions. Are the backing plates the same for 10x2.5 and 10x1.75? Will they offset the wheel differently?

Thanks doug, that's what I was starting to think. Gonna start looking for them since it'll be my cheapest option. Thanks again for your help guys.

Thanks doug, that's what I was starting to think. Gonna start looking for them since it'll be my cheapest option. Thanks again for your help guys.

I believe the narrow drums are difficult to find. The wider you can get through Rockauto.

They only have these 10" which don't state the width CENTRIC Part # 12363044. I'm assuming they're probably the wider ones. What a headache.

I am selling a complete A-body drum to drum housing minus center section at Spring Fling next weekend in So Cal. Or pick up earlier.

Brakes, axles, parking brake cables, etc. Out of running car. Not rusted up. It's converted to large bolt pattern by redrilling the pattern and using screw in cap screws. It's got the desirable bell type 70-72 finned drums. Should put new 1.75 brake pads available from parts store. The spring pads are loose so you can run offset hangers. And the studs are long so you can cut to your desired length

$450

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Botswana right now and won't be home untill the 12th, too late for spring fling.

If you want to retain the SBP, the easiest thing to do is get a complete 10" 65-72 A-body rear drum setup. All of it. I'm pretty sure the 10" strut bars are all the same but an 11" is different. The shoes will be 10" x 1-3/4", standard a-body size for those years. Backing plates are a direct bolt-in and even the parking brake cable will fit no problem. When swapping drum brakes around, you MUST have the matching backing plates for the drum width because a 1-3/4" shoe requires a different offset than a 10" x 2-1/2" shoe. If you lay one of each down on a flat surface, side by side, the offset is apparent. Without the matching backing plate, the drums will not go on.

You are in a unique situation by wanting to use a slightly wider B=body 8-3/4" in an A-body while retaining the SBP. Sounds to me like you will also want to get stock A-body axles after having the B axle narrowed to A-body width. It is not hard to find stock axles cause people are "upgrading" all the time.

For instance, I converted to BBP on my A-body 8-3/4" by basically swapping rear brake parts from a late 60's B-body and using shortened C-body axles.

-
Back