8 3/4 width after converting to 4.5x5 and 10x2.5" brakes?

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
I pulled my a body 8 3/4 out, and measured it at a hair under 58" drum surface to drum surface. All the tech I see says 57.125" surface to surface. Is any width gained when swapping to big bolt pattern and 10x2.5" brakes? This is a 73 duster, with factory brakes off my 7 1/4. We built this a number of years ago, and had C body axles shortened by moser. I don't recall if we gave them a length, or if they asked what brakes, etc. The housing is correct, btw.

I saw a post that stated moser axles are .25" longer with 10x2.5" brakes. Is this responsible for the width gain?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Not to hijack this thread but, I have a similar question. I have a 73 Duster with a 7-1/4 in it currently, and I have an 8-3/4 I'm going to put in it over the winter. The bolt pattern for the 7-1/4 is 5 x 4.5 (LBP) and the brakes are 10 x 2.5 too. Can I change out the current brakes & hardware to the new rearend using the same backing plates? I just replaced everything last year on the 7-1/4. Second question is will I gain any width and extra back spacing when I swap out the 7-1/4 for the 8-3/4?

Then don't. There's plenty of bandwidth for your own thread and it will get answered faster as such. :)

I can do that.. I have tougher Hide than that.. I love this forum, I'd like the opportunity to work with some of the people on here. Just to see if they are as crass in person as they are when they're hammering on the keys.. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The overall width will go from 57.125 with SBP brakes to 57.9375ish with bbp brakes.

Doesn't matter if you use 2.5 or 3" wide brakes, overall will be same. Backing plate offset takes up the extra 1/2" of shoe width.

-
Back