8 3/4 Worst One Yet!

-

Demon416

A-Body
Reaction score
This was the worst 8 3/4 I ever set up! Struggled with this damn thing for three days. Just couldn't get the pattern quite right. Here's what I ended up with. Let me know if you tech guys think this is an acceptable pattern. This one had me totally frustrated. Thanks in advance.

ring gear1.jpg

ring gear.jpg

Sorry I don,t have an answer for you!I just had my center at my friends tranny shop,brand new Auburn with used 4.57.Same thing couldn,t get it set properly after days,so I put 3.91,s in.Problem solved.I think the gears had been pounded or had a bad history!(the 4.57)

You're really close Jim but you need to be closer to the center of the teeth. Its acceptable to be a little towards the toe end of the ring teeth but I think you're a little to far from center. I'd suggest a .003" shim added to the pinion. BTW whats you're backlash measurement and your depth looks really good.

Terry

You're really close Jim but you need to be closer to the center of the teeth. Its acceptable to be a little towards the toe end of the ring teeth but I think you're a little to far from center. I'd suggest a .003" shim added to the pinion. BTW whats you're backlash measurement and your depth looks really good.

Terry
Backlash is .006-.010. Think I might retry this again tommorrow. I'll add the
.005 under the pinion and see if that helps. I've probably done 50 of these stupid things, but this one has me baffled. lol

Backlash is .006-.010. Think I might retry this again tommorrow. I'll add the
.005 under the pinion and see if that helps. I've probably done 50 of these stupid things, but this one has me baffled. lol

You could clean her up a little by adding backlash but I see you're allready where you want to be. Just curious, why have you got a 6 to 10 variance, that seems a little high to me. I trust you've got the carrier and pinion bearings planted good and solid.

Terry

You could clean her up a little by adding backlash but I see you're allready where you want to be. Just curious, why have you got a 6 to 10 variance, that seems a little high to me. I trust you've got the carrier and pinion bearings planted good and solid.

Terry
I've got a preload of 20 inch pounds on the pinion. You think I should tighten up the backlash? I must be getting sleepy here. backlash is .008. Don't know where the 6-10 came from????? LOL Just pre assembling at this point.

Terry: I'll try your suggestion and see where I end up. Look, I even quoted you wrong! You said add .003 and I said I'd do .005! I better go to bed! LOL

Terry: I'll try your suggestion and see where I end up. Look, I even quoted you wrong! You said add .003 and I said I'd do .005! I better go to bed! LOL

.008" lash is perfect and you didn't misquote me, originally I did say .005" but changed it to .003. Leaving tomorrow for our place down south for a few days so I won't be able to contribute till I get back. Have a nice Easter Jim.

Terry

Been thinking again Jim, before you take her apart increase your backlash to
.012" and see if this helps. The tolerance is .008-.012" so I usually go for .010.

.008" lash is perfect and you didn't misquote me, originally I did say .005" but changed it to .003. Leaving tomorrow for our place down south for a few days so I won't be able to contribute till I get back. Have a nice Easter Jim.

Terry
Well Terry, I took a little nap, ate supper and went back to work on that stupid thing. Success... :blob: I think I can live with this. I added what turned out to be .008 to the pinion. Set backlash at .008 and I think we have a winner. Have a Great Easter Terry, and thanks for the help.

ring gear2.jpg

ring gear3.jpg

That's what you want to see... I've had soem finicky ones especially using the Motive Gear sets. If it wasnt dead nuts, they had terrible patterns. But once it was dead nuts, they were silent. Persistance, and a fresh eye helps...lol

That's what you want to see... I've had soem finicky ones especially using the Motive Gear sets. If it wasnt dead nuts, they had terrible patterns. But once it was dead nuts, they were silent. Persistance, and a fresh eye helps...lol
moper: Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

I've had alot of trouble with Motive and other cheaper R & P's I've found thru Trial and error that the position Face to Flank of the pattern is the most important goal for avoiding noise. As long as this is centered, this more important to me than trying to center the pattern Heel to Toe. And .006- .010 is the factory specs on Backlash

-
Back