Status
Not open for further replies.

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
looking for 3:23 ring gear just got a 741case pinion looks usable but ring gear has rust and pitting on it ( I think all the ring gears are the same 741, 742, 489,) if any one knows for sure please chime in ( I know not supposed to mix match gears) cheap usable to good condition cheap near philly pa thanks

It will probably be pretty noisey, should install gears in sets. Shouldn't have any trouble getting a good used set. Most guys are not going to want to split a set to sell anyway

just turn up the radio to drown out the noise until they wear in just hoping someone has a set with a stripped out pinion thread or something

All the gears I have here are 3:23's, I have 4 sets, but not for a 741 case and I wouldn't even give you just the ring gear.
Try to find a set, not a good idea to try to fit two different wear patterns.

I'll look again tomorrow, but I'm almost positive, I don't have a 741 case.

Good luck!

There's a reason why you can't buy just the pinion or just the ring gear from gear companies, they are machined and sold as a set only.

not looking for a set just a usable used old ring gear dont care if it makes noise (no one makes gear sets for 741 cases any more anyway)

I don't really want to do this, but shoot me your mailing addy and I'll forward it to you, since a matching pinion and ring gear (3:23's ) are not wanted.
Can you cover cover shipping? Is all I ask. I'll take apart and ship.
These are used gears, keep that in mind, I don't want to hear any complaints later on. I don't sell beat up none useable stuff. but in this application, how-ever good they might be as a match pair, I really don't expect a good out come. Let me know, your's for the shipping price and NO, absolutly NO complaining about grinding, whining, knocks.
They will be yours, my time to take it out (not a 741 case) for the price of shipping.
I loose a match pair of 489 case 3:23 gears, or the least a 742 case set.

I can't stretch any further.
These are not apart yet, so I need time for this also.
Going to Cuba first weekend of Feb. let me know ASAP, I have NO gain out of this, obviously.
Just your luck I want to build one with a different gear ratio.

cool thanks its an old rear I found sitting in the weeds for decades had water in the bottom of the case so the ring gear got really rusty in one spot but the pinion and bearing were above the water line just want to see how a set of 3:23 gears feel have 2:91 in my 7 1/4 like them had 3:55 before didnt like them, if I like the 3:23 I will put a matched set in a 489 case with a detroit locker "this is a test this is only a test"

LOL. If your lucky you'll get 10 miles out of it. Ask me how I know. I did it when I was a kid. Not only was it real noisy it only lasted about 10 miles before it blew chunks and totally trashed everything and I had to get towed home. Have fun with your test.

while they are wearing in they will produce so much heat and schrapnell that you will ruin your bearing set. i jake rig **** too but this is ridiculous think i have a set in a 741 case. if i do 25 bucks plus shipping. never mind missed post 8

See EDIT @ bottom.!

Ok....! So here's the scoop, I finally got to it today.

Here's the good news, I had a 741 case with a great set of 3:23, so I got those for ya.

Here's some pics, first the stamping
View attachment 124054

Here's a couple of the ring, no burrs, scratches.
View attachment 124058

View attachment 124057

And the 741 pinion gear,
View attachment 124055

Again, nice wear pattern,

View attachment 124056

Let me tell you, that pinion gear was a B'yatch to break loose.
The only thing I ask, is please, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't just change the ring gear, take the time to replace the set.

I'm not sure about shipping, they way roughly 15lbs.
Let me know, the soonest I can ship them would be late Monday afternoon.

All the best,
Giles

still interested in gears as I still have the 741 case just need to find another a-body housing or narrow the c-body I was going to trade

Hello
I do have Mopar 8-3/4 3:55 gears #2070741 Complete 3 rd member and gears. Not a suregrip I am asking $375.00 shipped. I also have 8-3/4 3:23 suregrip 3rd member for $650.00 shipped. respond to [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back