8.75 binds

-

troys330

Reaction score
I have a 489 case 391 sure grip Moser axles with green bearings the issue I have is when I try to move the car it binds up very bad if I jack the car up and spin the yoke both rear tires spin freely no binding at all everything looks good as far as I can tell .

Did you remove the pin prior to installing the axles? That pin isn't used with green bearings.

It has some kind of plug in the center but it moves very freely but won't come out it did this with my old axles also ring and pinion look great this is not the clutch type will it still have something to remove

Does it roll freely in a straight line and only bind when you are trying to roll it around a corner? If so it is just a tight and healthy sure grip. If the wheels both turn freely when jacked up it is likely not the thrust block, but this is a valid point and it should be removed with green bearings.

It binds going straight forward and will Jerk the car. This is the cone style not clutch

Did you guys catch that? It only binds with weight on it.
Brakes or sidewalls or tires with different rolling diameters.Or the fronts.Or in the trans(doubtful)
Make sure your sidewalls arent rubbing, and that your tires are matched and aired up the same.Check for up and down, radial play of your axles by grabbing the wheel and lifting/dropping.
As an aside, what are your front wheels and brakes doing?

Yes the tires are the same size. the car is a on going project and will bind just pushing it back and forth in garage

If it binds going straight forward or backward, there's a problem.

Disassembled found cones stuck from sitting cleaned and put back together seems to be better thanks fabo

I think I came across this once with a loose pinion nut. When the D/S drove the pinion it was ok, but when the ring gear drove the pinion it pulled the pinion into the case and jerked the car. I seem to remember one way was worse than the other.Long time ago,lol

I think I came across this once with a loose pinion nut. When the D/S drove the pinion it was ok, but when the ring gear drove the pinion it pulled the pinion into the case and jerked the car. I seem to remember one way was worse than the other.Long time ago,lol

I was going to mention that it sounds like when a pinion is loose.
That can do damage quick, so grab the driveline just up from the ujoints and see if the yoke on the rearend moves up/down or sideways at ALL. (with the weight off the tires)
If it does, that is what's causing the binding.

Disassembled found cones stuck from sitting cleaned and put back together seems to be better thanks fabo

Wouldn't make any difference if the cones were WELDED together, not going to bind rolling in a straight line.

-
Back