8.75 green wheel bearing end play?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Working on installing the dr.diff 11.25” rear disc brake kit on my 1971 Plymouth scamp. I’ve got new snap ring style green wheel bearings pressed onto the axles and I’ve got the axles installed into the housing. However, there seems to be a decent amount of in/out movement of the axles if I push and pull on the axle flange. Center section is a 741 open gearset. These are the axles that came with the car when I bought it and they are in what I assume to be an unmodified a-body 8.75 housing. Wondering if these axles should have any end play at all?

pics showing about .125 of end play

Any ideas?

Thanks

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8843.jpeg

IMG_8844.jpeg

Who made the green bearings? Any photos of them before and after?

Hey guys,

Working on installing the dr.diff 11.25” rear disc brake kit on my 1971 Plymouth scamp. I’ve got new snap ring style green wheel bearings pressed onto the axles and I’ve got the axles installed into the housing. However, there seems to be a decent amount of in/out movement of the axles if I push and pull on the axle flange. Center section is a 741 open gearset. These are the axles that came with the car when I bought it and they are in what I assume to be an unmodified a-body 8.75 housing. Wondering if these axles should have any end play at all?

pics showing about .125 of end play

Any ideas?

Thanks

View attachment 1716184164

View attachment 1716184165

View attachment 1716184166
I would try to narrow down if the play is coming from the bearing (outer race) moving in the housing, the bearing (inner race) moving on the axle or play in the bearing (movement between the inner and outer race).

Found the issue. Cass included a set of new axle retaining plates with the bearings. I didn’t see them so I had the axle shop put the wrong plates on.

All that stuff, and a 741 ?....

Which he's probably not going to break running less than 500 hp, so what?

The previous owner bought the axles, the 5x4.5" pattern is useful for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with strength, and the disk brakes work better regardless of the horsepower.

Unless he's building a dedicated drag car on slicks or running a boatload of horsepower I wouldn't be worried about the 741.

The biggest concern I'd have is that the aftermarket axles are the dumb kind with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but the SBP axle flange offset...

I ran a 741 OEM 3.91 gear clutch sure grip for years with drag radials in a 11.90 340 dart. The ring gear finally cracked at the root of two teeth. Drove 50 miles home and put a new set of gears in.

Which he's probably not going to break running less than 500 hp, so what?

The previous owner bought the axles, the 5x4.5" pattern is useful for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with strength, and the disk brakes work better regardless of the horsepower.

Unless he's building a dedicated drag car on slicks or running a boatload of horsepower I wouldn't be worried about the 741.

The biggest concern I'd have is that the aftermarket axles are the dumb kind with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but the SBP axle flange offset...
How would I go about checking if they have the SBP flange offset?

Well. I was able to remove the snap ring from the wheel bearings and slide the old axle retaining plate off and the new one on

IMG_8854.jpeg

IMG_8855.jpeg

Got them reinstalled. No endplay now, sure am glad those snap rings were able to be removed and reinstalled. Saved me from having to buy new bearings and paying the driveline shop to press them on again.

IMG_8856.jpeg

How would I go about checking if they have the SBP flange offset?

Just have to route the park brake cables and make brake lines now.

View attachment 1716184736

Looks like you beat me to it, in your situation the easiest way to tell if you have the right flange offset would be to install the rotors and see if the caliper lines up. Looks like it does, so you're fine!

If they had the SBP flange offset, the rotor would sit further in and wouldn't line up with the caliper.

-
Back