8.75 in a 72 dart question

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
Gimme me some ideas here, stock rear in a 72 Dart (originally a /6), the previous owner put an 8 3/4 rear in it, has 3.23's in it. But no sure grip.

What is the scenario for adding sure grip guys?

Gimme me some ideas here, stock rear in a 72 Dart (originally a /6), the previous owner put an 8 3/4 rear in it, has 3.23's in it. But no sure grip.

What is the scenario for adding sure grip guys?

First pick the one/kind you want (cone, clutch, etc). The eaton true trac is a good one as well then It's install time. What center section to you have (741, 742 or 489)?

First pick the one/kind you want (cone, clutch, etc). The eaton true trac is a good one as well then It's install time. What center section to you have (741, 742 or 489)?

The chunk is a 489, that Eaton Detroit Truetrac DTL-913A572 is available with a rebate right now! $484.97 and ships free. Rebate good through 30 June @ Summit...........

The chunk is a 489, that Eaton Detroit Truetrac DTL-913A572 is available with a rebate right now! $484.97 and ships free. Rebate good through 30 June @ Summit...........
Go with the truetrac and DO NOT forget to use a solid sleeve instead of that crush sleeve. You can get the solid sleeve from Dr. Diff.

Go with the truetrac and DO NOT forget to use a solid sleeve instead of that crush sleeve. You can get the solid sleeve from Dr. Diff.

Thanks Duster.....tell me why I want to use the solid sleeve instead of the crush sleeve sir :book:

Thanks Duster.....tell me why I want to use the solid sleeve instead of the crush sleeve sir :book:
The crush/solid sleeve provides the preload on the bearing. If you torque the crush sleeve to much you completely destroy it and have to replace/start all over. The solid doesn't do this and once you have the correct spacing/preload you can change a pinion seal and retorque with no problem, not with the crush. This crush sleeve is the weakest part in the 489 once changed it becomes a moot point. ALL of my 489 have a solid sleeve in them.

-
Back