8.75 Rea End Disc Brake Conversion

-

aimplus

Reaction score
I goofed and loaded my post into the general forum by mistake. Sorry!

I am rebuilding an 8.75 and want to go to disc brakes. Trying to save some green and avoid pricey aftermarket kits. Heard a Jeep rear end disc setup will bolt on.

Is this true? If so, what year(s) Jeep would be applicable.

AIMplus

I was lucky to find 75 Imperial rear end complete with all components in good shape. Literaly a bolt in and the calipers are the same as 74-76 fronts!

The Summit drum-to-disc kit (#SUM-BK1329) was on sale a couple of months ago for $401.95 but it is back to it's regular price of $495.95 It also includes a provision for an e-brake. The cross-drilled rotors will cost an extra $76. Note: The online price states $509.95 but if you have their last catalog (prices effective through 10/31/09 - which states $495.95), they will give it to you for that price.

BTW: These kits are SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Co.) pieces and are made up by them for Summit to sell under their brand name - just cheaper. So, when considering the upgrade and thinking that this kit cost too much, also take into consideration that: you are getting all new components, the components do not need to be machined or rebuilt, they are SSBC pieces, you do not have to go search or pull parts at the boneyard, etc.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-BK1329/

Sumitt does advertise a Disc brake REAR conversion for around $400 I ordered it twice and it never came. Come to find out they use 1985 ElDorado calipers. Do you REALLY want to put GM crap on a Mopar?
LOL

Sumitt does advertise a Disc brake REAR conversion for around $400 I ordered it twice and it never came. Come to find out they use 1985 ElDorado calipers. Do you REALLY want to put GM crap on a Mopar?
LOL

Bel, you must be one of Summit's favorites. ;) The calipers in the rear brake kit I purchased (and received ;) from Summit were Ford calipers. The calipers I received with their front kit for my MII were GMs. Granted, I wouldn't mind keeping everything Mopar on the '35 but since there is a MII hung on the front all ready, I'm ok with it. Note: I did remove the shortened 9" and replaced it with an 8 3/4 (mainly due to the fact that I have several 489 setups that I can swap in and out).

-
Back