8.75 Strength?

-

falston1

Reaction score
I am saving up for an engine that'll make about 1000 hp and want to know if an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear can handle it or a relatively inexpensive combo that will be able to handle 1000-1500 hp. I have a Dana 60 that I can shorten if needed also.
Thanks, Forrest

If you are really at 1000 hp and plan on getting any kind of traction I would build the Dana.

That's what I figured. Just seeing what more experienced guys say. I'm still a young gun.

Do the Dana don't f around. Where are you gonna drive this?
Just a once a month driver probably. Maybe take it to the strip some. Also wondering what kind of transmission to use. I'm still gathering engine parts so the transmission and rear will have to wait a while. I want to see what I can swing for an engine before I get into the drivetrain more than on paper.

If you plan on making an honest 1K HP or more, it will be way more cost effective to use a turbo 400. Much as I hate to say it. It will cost over twice what a turbo 400 will to make a 727 hold up.......but they can and will. Just very expensively.

x2 its a tank transmission, and very, very simple to rebuild. You need a 3/8 12 point to remove the center section.

for the 20,000+$ your gonna have in the motor, a little more $ for the dana is good insurance. tires to hookup ain't gonna be cheap! 1000 horsepower isn't cheap.

Just a once a month driver probably. Maybe take it to the strip some. Also wondering what kind of transmission to use. I'm still gathering engine parts so the transmission and rear will have to wait a while. I want to see what I can swing for an engine before I get into the drivetrain more than on paper.

Are you saying you're gonna drive 1,000 - 1,500 horse power on the street?

I have a friend in Macon with a 900 plus HP big block 71 Cuda. That's all he does is drive it on the street. Franklin quick change, 833 and all it's 528 cube wedge goodness.

Are you saying you're gonna drive 1,000 - 1,500 horse power on the street?

I drove my GTR on the street all the time and it put out a 1000 at the wheels. But if you wanna be picky, it is an all wheel drive car so you could say that is it 250 HP per wheel.

Just out of curiosity, if a 9 inch Ford can handle it, why can't an 8.3/4 Mopar? And why a turbo 400 instead of a 727?

From what I see in the replies here, you might as well run an GM or Ford motor as well, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
:)

Just out of curiosity, if a 9 inch Ford can handle it, why can't an 8.3/4 Mopar? And why a turbo 400 instead of a 727?

From what I see in the replies here, you might as well run an GM or Ford motor as well, hahaha :)

He mentioned the th400 because of money reasons. The th400 is less costly to build than the tf727. Having never built a 727 I can't say yes or no. You could build the Dana and have it narrowed and be money ahead of Time over the 8 3/4.

My thoughts is that the 8 3/4 has the strength of a 9 inch and I've seen many 9 inch rears in very high horse powered cars. I find builders including my conversation with Nelson engineering tell me one of the reasons persons use 9 inch over 8 3/4 is because of there are many around, yet the 8 3/4 built right will do the job. He also said that weight being overkill on many vehicles which include building a Dana for something not needed.

As far as building a 727, when I got mine from Dynamic, Frank Lupo said it will handle anything I could throw at it and it does. Maybe not everyone can afford certain items, but when you build a 1000 hp motor, what exactly does money mean?

He mentioned the th400 because of money reasons. The th400 is less costly to build than the tf727. Having never built a 727 I can't say yes or no. You could build the Dana and have it narrowed and be money ahead of Time over the 8 3/4.

This^^^^^ It all comes down to cost vs. function.

funny you should mention a Lenco, Lenco will take brute power yet is not designed to be downshifted. I ran a Nash in in the 90's with a blown big block which was streetable and ran the nines and when I sold the car in parts, I kept it for my Signet, had I not loaned it to a friend I might still have it today. My friend sold his car and gave me way more than I paid for it, C'est la vie

From what I see in the replies here, you might as well run an GM or Ford motor as well, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
:)

The 9" is not any better until it is all aftermarket parts....

The 9" is not better than anything, until you replaced the case and gears and pinion support. Then if the 3rd bearing has a issue that will come apart and kill your shaft and trans, atleast when a 8.75 and if you break a dana it doesn't wreck everything in front of it.

The 8.75 can be built to handle the increased power, but it will stress teeth on the ring gear, not in 2 passes but it needs to be checked often at power levels over 700, and i have the gears mikronited for the 8.75 in any big hp use, and it has helped dbl longevity.

Sticking a Dana 60 in saves you time from having to check the 8.75 so you don't have a failure with it.

The Dana 60 and 9" with disc brakes are within 20 lbs of eachother.

As for the 727 trans, at 1000hp my A&A and MSP have never failed... as for using that killer heavy 400 over a 727 i'd spend the money again and use one of the two i use.

As for the run a gm and ford, thats what everyone does with mustangs

1000 hp = Dana

Why exactly?

I can't say for sure the HP but I pit with a friend running high 8 second quarters weekly and he runs an 8.75. Did I mention it is in a 67 Camaro? LOL.

He runs mark williams axles and spool.

-
Back