8.8 3.73

-

IndyDave

Reaction score
I have a '69 Valiant 2dr that will be running a 340, 833 OD set up. My desire is to have a street car, cruiser, with occasional tire chirper when light goes green. Tire size I am planning on will be around 27". I have read many calculations on final gear ratio on the diff, but was wondering if anyone that is running a 3.73 can chime in and let me know the pros and cons of that set up? thanks!

Don't use the 833 overdrive. The ratios are terrible for anything but a stock low to medium performance engine.

Don't use the 833 overdrive. The ratios are terrible for anything but a stock low to medium performance engine.
I'm not planning on making it a high performance car. I"ll leave that for the muscle car owners with the thick wallets. I picked up the OD for a song, and can't see dropping a $1.2K 833 non-OD tranny, and/or for that matter, a $2k 8.75" SureGrip into a lowly stepchild Valiant. My goals are for it to look respectable, sound sweet, enter car meets, and maybe a PowerTour someday.
Given that,,, would there be any recommendations to change to the 3.91 while I have the 8.8 torn down? Thanks for any experiences one can offer. Really helps !!

Any idea on what the final ratio in the transmission would be? I'm hoping someone that has the OD 833 and 3.73 combo would chime in with a real world experience,,,be it pro or con

Any idea on what the final ratio in the transmission would be? I'm hoping someone that has the OD 833 and 3.73 combo would chime in with a real world experience,,,be it pro or con
Plug the numbers in...

-
Back