8.80s , sneakin up on it!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
After dynoing the 550 cube 440-1 motor, i got a couple runs in a BIR.
Car weighs 3012 with driver.
Carried the fronts to, or past the 60 ft clocks? Da was 3094 and an 8 to 10 mph head wind. So i am looking forward to better conditions! Front shocks are full stiff on extension, launch 4250 rpm so the 10.50x33 has a chance to hook.

20200926_063619.jpg

Greg do you still drive this car on the street? Seems like it could go on a diet if not. I’m shocked that car is so heavy.

Greg do you still drive this car on the street? Seems like it could go on a diet if not. I’m shocked that car is so heavy.
In the early 80's my brothers 440 powered caged 64 was 2650 #s
low 10 sec street strip car.
He had a few Darts, 63 and 65 360 powered and the big block 64. Now he's into Dusters.
Greg's Dart is getting it done, nice times and mph.:thumbsup:

Never that stellar air at ole Brainerd....

I built it to take a pounding for 25 years. Part of being raised on a farm i guess. All .134 x 13/4 on 2x3x.125 rails. I weigh 275 in my flight suit. It is a typical stripped body with glass decklid and hood, all windows lexan. I have a 3 qt accumulater, an alternater, a primerplus system , dana 60 and megablock that weighs a bunch. Aluminum interior, and a fuel cell that will get you four miles down the road if you lean it out

Love your car Greg, keep pecking at it, Good Luck and thanks for sharing

Thanks guys for the complements. Bir went to 1/8th mile due to track temp and weather. Saturday at 3200 da i went 5.60 with a 1.265 60 ft. I hit the brakes hard chasing a guy saturday and felt a BAD shudder in the front end. Two tierod ends a touch loose, bad ball joint on passenger upper a arm. On the trailer for the winter. Full rebuild for the front suspension this winter, go through the trans, try and figure out why vacuum is only 4.2 inch max.

Last edited:
One more repair on the list!
Low compression #2, assume its a head gasket . air coming out of radiater when i pressurized the cylinder.

resurrecting an old post! Those that have followed this know the last two and a half years have been a bit brutal to say the least. I lost my wife to cancer Sept 6 2022, and caring for her kept me out of racing, along with multiple car problems. On inspection i found the torqueflite was hurting badly, needed a full rebuild. A rear caliper was stuck(never let your brake pads wear past 50 %!) and a steering arm was severely oblonged allowing a front tire to wobble side to side. Then i thought the block was cracked in the leaking cylinder. Turns out the cylinder head must have gotten hot or too thin, and caved in enough to burn the headgasket on #2 cylinder, up by the water passage. Over the next two years a new motor was built, using the original Crower cw crank and cam from Jones. 549 cubes, aluminum block by BMP, 572-13 heads, alky injected with a Terminator and ported 3x intake. On methanol the motor made 982 hp at 7600 rpm. weight loss from driver, lithium battery and aluminum block totals 170 lbs, so the new race weight should be 2852 with hood on, race ready at the line. With all that weight coming off the nose, i am going to have to do some chassis tuning i am sure. I never upgraded to 7.50 cert, and if the car goes sub 8.50 I will short shift it to kill whatever i need to. I hope to get out by May 19 at B I R in Minnesota.

PXL_20230415_221836808.jpg

Can't wait to see the on track results, Good Luck !

Thanks everybody. With the extra power and less weight, i hope to see 8,40s at about 159. The issue that i will have is the car will now be about 50/50weight distribution. i am going to see how low i can set the car up for starters, but really am at a loss on initial ladderbar and shock settings.

Can’t wait to see how it does. I followed your posts on Moparts for this engine build. Thing should really fly especially since you dropped down to 2952. What 1st gear you running in your 727? I always meant to ask.

Can’t wait to see how it does. I followed your posts on Moparts for this engine build. Thing should really fly especially since you dropped down to 2952. What 1st gear you running in your 727? I always meant to ask.
gears are stock tf 2.45/1.45/1,4.56 rear, 33x 10.5 on a 14 inch wide rim. my at the line weight ought to be 2860. with the head improvements and new power of 982 hp, i hope to run 8.40s at 159?

gears are stock tf 2.45/1.45/1,4.56 rear, 33x 10.5 on a 14 inch wide rim. my at the line weight ought to be 2860. with the head improvements and new power of 982 hp, i hope to run 8.40s at 159?
Awesome Greg. Wasn’t sure if you had a 2.28 first gear or not. I know my car loves the 2.28 low gear and I’m nowhere near the power level you are at, only close on weight. May be something to consider in the future depending how the car reacts to the bigger power level. It outta rock. I sure hope you meet your goal. The new engine is a killer.

-
Back