8 track

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i am looking for a in dash single din 8 track player for my scamp. it would be cool to be a plymouth or maby spark-o-matic. i just want it to fit in my dash and look old skool like mid '70s

I have a Chrysler AM/FM eight track in my 70 AAR Cuda. They also made AM eight tracks. I have seen them at swap meets. It shouldn't be too tough to find one at a swap meet.

ok thanks thats a good idea. is yours the kind with the two seperate knobs? so you dont have to cut the dash? my dash trim is already cut but i would like to not cut it more

On the left side there are four thumbwheel controls. One is for the volume, one is for the treble, one is for the bass and one is for the balance. There is also a sliding switch between the second and third thumbwheels that switches between AM and FM mode.

ok cool. did they come stock in mopars? and were they in dash? do you have a pic of yours?

My AAR Cuda (e-body) came from the factory with an AM 8 track player and I replaced it with an AM/FM 8 track without any alterations. So I think that it would fit without any alterations in your 70 Scamp (a-body). But I can not swear to it.

sweet. that will probably be what i want. there are not many swap meets around here in the winter but will see this summer. thanks

They also offered a cassette player that attached to the bottom of the dash under the radio/8trk player or on the center console. But I think that they are harder to find.

8-track never made it big in Europe (DIN = Deutsch Industrie Norm). I have an old school two-post Sparkomatic I can sell and will throw in a couple of tapes. $50.00. It lights up when I turn it on, but have not attempted to run tape through it. If you're showing the car you may be interested in The Bay City Rollers still in shrink wrap. $25.00

wow that would be killer. if you have any way to see if it dose in fact work i would take it as soon as i get the money. i am in college and have not had work all christmas break so i need to save for now but should have it in a week or so. do you have a pic?

I've got one. Don't know if it works or not. Make an offer....shipping from NJ.
If you want it, I'll pull it out as complete and intact as possible!
Mike

Tyler, I bought my 74 Dart new in 1974. It came with AM only and 8 tracks were still the rage. The Dodge dealership that sold me the car said they did not offer 8 tracks for my A body. I looked at many aftermarket units in 1974 and 1975, however I did not want to cut the dash bezel. What mid 70s year Scamp do you have? The unit swing69 may be a good fit.

I still have over 100 eight tracks and several players including underdash mounted units. My college son loves the 8 tracks and my choice in music. We chose to have a local electronics store owner who owns several 70s Darts alter the OEM Chrysler AM/FM unit we bought to play our ipod. He uses the 8 track in his colege room. It's a great nostalgic conversation piece that many 18, 19, 20 year olds have never seen.

You might like the idea of an original 8 track player, but the sound quality of today's radios/ipods is much better than 8 tracks. Also when the player "eats" one of the tapes and you have to take the unit out of the dash to remove the bundle of tape, you'll see why 8 tracks went the way of the dinosaurs. Not to mention they are bulky. However, I do miss them.

ya im 18 myself and love the noglisticness about them lol. i will put a cd player in the glovebox hidden away. that dose look like it will work. the trim on mine is already cut to fit a din stereo so i bet that would fit in there with minor mods. i really do not have the money just now but if you can tell me a price of what you are thinking? and see if it works or not i would be interested. i do not want to say yes to anyone yet lol but as soon as the funds are available i will get one. what kind of tapes do people have?

-
Back