81 /6 dodge ram 4 speed?

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
I have an 81 dodge ram /6 4 speed transmission with the aluminum housing and I was wondering if I could swap that into a 73 Duster with a 318. Also what would the transmission code would be for the truck trans?

Thanks.

Yes you can providing you are willing to do a little fabrication, I have one in my 68 Barracuda. The tranny is longer than an A-body tranny so the drive shaft will need to be shortened and neither of the shifter mounts are in the correct position for the shifter. You will need to fabricate a bracket that mounts to the rear pad on the tranny and positions the shifter forward to the proper position. www.bigblockdart.com has a sketch of what the bracket needs to look like in their tech section.

As previously mentioned you will need a sb bell housing. NOTE: The OD trannies have a bigger diameter bearing retainer so you either have to find a bell housing to match, have the bell housing machined to match, swap the bearing retainer or machine the retainer.

If your car is not a manual all the rest of the A-body gear is going to be required. Floor hump, z-bar set-up, pedals and all the linkage.

Thanks for the quick replies, I do have the small block bell housing and a 360 manual flywheel. It is an OD transmission. Looks like I have some research and parts to come up with. :read2:

-
Back