833 Bearing Retainer Sizes

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the size of the bearing retainer and bell housing hole size is for a 833 OD unit. I have a Duster equipped with a OD unit and want to change to a true 4 speed. The tranny I am looking at has a 4.80 inch diameter bearing reatiner. Can I use the bell housing I have or do I nned to get a different one?

the OD bell housing is a 5.125 hole if i remember...

you can make a ring to center the smaller IBR into the OD bell housing

Can anyone tell me what the size of the bearing retainer and bell housing hole size is for a 833 OD unit. I have a Duster equipped with a OD unit and want to change to a true 4 speed. The tranny I am looking at has a 4.80 inch diameter bearing reatiner. Can I use the bell housing I have or do I nned to get a different one?

If you have the 308 front bearing, 4.16 bolt circle 4.805 bearing retainer, the bolt pattern is the same so all you have to do is switch to the 5.125 bearing retainer. If you have the 307 front bearing, 3.70 bolt circle, 4.805 bearing retainer Brewers Performance has a 5.125 bearing retainer that should bolt on. I have extra 5.125 bearing retainers, with the 4.16 bolt circle, if anyone needs them.

I am using the car as a daily driver at this time and I can not make measurments until I take the car apart. I forgot to mention that the OD unit I have is a cast iron unit, not aluminum. I do not know what size bearing is installed in my unit. Is there anywhay to mack sure I have the right parts before I tear the car apart and discover that what I have will not work? I had difficulty finding the right Z bar mount for the bell housing I have, so I would like to keep that part in place. I hope all I have to do is unbolt the installed unit and install the new 4 speed with the 4.80 bearing retainer.

It sounds like I can keep the bell housing if I have a different bearing retainer? Is the bell housing hole for the OD trans 5.125?

If the bellhousing is a stock OD it has a 5.125 pilot hole. The small bolt pattern 5.125 bearing retainer is relatively rare, partial one year build. The 4.805 retainer can be either. Check out the retainer on the trans you want to buy. If it has the 4.06 bolt pattern bearing retainer then just pick up a retainer and you can swap back and forth if you want.

1. If you have an OD bell housing, the pilot bore is 5.125.
2. Check the bearing retainer bolt pattern on the 4 speed you want to get.
Check the output spline as they can be small, 26 spline or large, 30 spline.
Check the tailhousing length: Short A/F body or Long B/E body.
3. Get the 5.125 bearing retainer that will bolt to that bolt pattern.
4. Change the 3/4 shift rod. (the long one to the front arm on the trans)

Ancient post but I need a retainer for the A833/NV440/MY6 OD transmission. This is the GM version. My retainer is cracked. My casting # is C-15397 that is 5.125" but I think the # C-13157 might work. I have the 308 bearing and the 4.16 bolt circle. What do you think?

Ancient post but I need a retainer for the A833/NV440/MY6 OD transmission. This is the GM version. My retainer is cracked. My casting # is C-15397 that is 5.125" but I think the # C-13157 might work. I have the 308 bearing and the 4.16 bolt circle. What do you think?

What is the OD and length of the throwout bearing part of the retainer?

Outer is 1-3/8". Inner is 1-1/8". Snout length is 2-1/4". A GM 10 spline input shaft will need to fit. Passon Performance got back to me and said a Dodge retainer will not fit the GM shaft.

66fs- thanks for the interest. I just ordered the part from Passon. They had some billet units from long ago and they should cure the issue of snout cracking. They said that is common on these units.

66fs, my cousin with the '69 Cuda says these A833 transmissions are junk. But then he has an automatic so I don't really consider him an authority. Everywhere else I read that this used to be the "Hemi" trans so it must be pretty stout. What is your opinion?

They are considered the strongest factory 4 speed. I have run them for decades, power shifting at full throttle, still running strong. Transmissions are rated by torque capacity. I used to have ideas that were not true, but I listen and learn. Not sure where he gets his ideas. Chrysler always had the strongest drive train.

That is what I thought. He is an engineer so he tends to "overthink" things. When searching for an overdrive manual trans I read Paul Cangialosi's high performance manual transmission book. That convinced me this A833 was the way to go. The steep gear spread should work well with my 455. Thanks again for your time.

My advice is run 90 wt gear oil and use the O/D as a cruising gear, not power shifted. Run the 1st 3 gears any way you want.

-
Back