833 belhousing adapter ring

-
Why doesn't anyone make a adapter ring to go from a regular 833 4 spd with the 4.35 dia. bering retainer to the 5.125 O.D. bell housing? I'd like to put a non O.D. 4 speed behind my 71 slant. I can find O.D. bell housings all day for the slant but no regular 4 speed ones. Anyone on here with a lathe interested in turning out a few?
BTW.
Why are you contemplating this gearbox change?
I have run every Mopar gear ratio there is, and for a slanty, the OD box is a pretty good DD choice. Just not with hiway gears. The OD box likes 3.91s With those, your Road gears would be-
12.08-6.53-3.91-2.85 The gear of note in this box is Second gear; 6.53 will get you from 30mph@2500 to 60mph@5000.
If you want a 6.53 with the standard box, you would need a 3.40 rear gear to hit it in Second, or a 4.66 to hit it in Third.
now whereas the the Hiway gear with the od is 2.85. the hiway with the standard box is 3.40 which is 19.2% more hiway rpm. And
Whereas the starter gear with the od is 12.08, the standard offers only 8.84 with a 3.40 gear.
So the, the ONLY advantage to have the standard is to get an in-between roadgear to reduce your rpm when cruising at say 45 mph. But you have to sacrifice BOTH the starter gear and the cruise-Economy.

On the other hand,
A starter gear of 10.0 with the Overdrive requires a rear gear of just 3.23, which will get you a cruising gear of 2.36 which will get you 65= about 1950 rpm. If you optimize the Ignition timing and AFR for that, then you'd be looking at really great hiway fuel economy.

I know for me, if I had a Heavy-A, (73 up) with a slanty, set up for a manual trans, Then
the A833od would be my first choice, but Ima thinking with 3.91s.
Or, with a 67 to 72 A-body, maybe 3.73s at the least.

Having run that od box for several years, I know the 1-2 shift drop is pretty wide. By running an appropriate rear gear, this can be alleviated and then Second gear becomes a lotta fun. A second gear overall ratio of
1.67 x 3.91= 6.53 is a lotta fun.
I currently run 6.82, which is only 4% better, and I love it. Allbeit I have a Hot 367, lol.

Just trying to be helpful.

I have the OD with slant right now. 3.55 gear. The box needs rebuilt due to 3rd gear crunch and 4th gear whine, and gold particles in the fluid. I will tear the OD trans down after I install the 1970 833 close ratio rebuilt box I just got from NC yesterday. Only thing I need is the Brewers bearing retainer that member 66fs mentioned. I guess once I get the OD down, I can remove the bell and check the clutch, even though I really don't want to because it works. BTW, can I use the current shift rods and levers?

No I have the regular ratio,not close ratio, a833. I just counted 1st gear teeth 35 and 17 which is the 2.66 gear ratio but has the 1.92 2nd gear, so my slant will be much happier. For my engine the OD 3.09 1st gear just doesn't work.

Good to know. Thank you. Regular 3-4 shift rod not an OD shift rod. I had no idea they were different.

-
Back