833 issues

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I have just installed my rebuilt 833. it is all new(although the gearset is aftermarket) new input shaft..new synchros etc. the only thing not new is the mainshaft. heres my issue .. in first it seems sloppy, not as tight as I would have expected. shifts thru 1-4 smoothly. but on downshift is "whiney" especially in third. kind of scratching my head here. everything went together well and tolerances checked out ok. where can I go from here? any ideas?

You can go anywhere you want cause you have a new rebuilt transmission that sounds pretty normal. :D
The fact that you are asking about a whine instead of a crunch downshifting is a good sign.
The whine may settle down as the gears break in on each other, but depending on how loud it is it could be totally normal.
These are not like newer sticks that ricers drive.

You can go anywhere you want cause you have a new rebuilt transmission that sounds pretty normal. :D
The fact that you are asking about a whine instead of a crunch downshifting is a good sign.
The whine may settle down as the gears break in on each other, but depending on how loud it is it could be totally normal.
These are not like newer sticks that ricers drive.
anyone else?

What do you want us to say? Some gearboxes whine. Until you have ridden in about 10 different cars, you won't know if yours is abby-normal.

92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9.jpg

We aren't there and can't hear it.

Are you SURE, that is CERTAIN that..

you have the shifter and shift linkage, and for that matter all other metal parts of the exhaust / engine away from the body?

How about the shift boot? Is it intact, not ripped, and properly screwed / sealed to the floor?

You say the gearset is "aftermarket". Is the gear helix angle the same? EG, GM M-22 "rock crushers" were known for being noisy because of the shallower gear helix.

What do you want us to say? Some gearboxes whine. Until you have ridden in about 10 different cars, you won't know if yours is abby-normal.

92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9.jpg

We aren't there and can't hear it.

Are you SURE, that is CERTAIN that..

you have the shifter and shift linkage, and for that matter all other metal parts of the exhaust / engine away from the body?

How about the shift boot? Is it intact, not ripped, and properly screwed / sealed to the floor?

You say the gearset is "aftermarket". Is the gear helix angle the same? EG, GM M-22 "rock crushers" were known for being noisy because of the shallower gear helix.

nevermind..since I have been driving these things for 40 years.it may be the gearset.thanx for the reply.

-
Back