833 question

-

kdsmith07

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize in advance.i was under the impression that all 4spd. o.d.transmissions had an aluminum case.i just bought an 883 with a cast iron case so assumed it was a regular 4spd.today I see it's got the big retainer that only come on o.d.transmissions.so,what do you think I have?sorry,that's all the pics I have right now.thanks

Attachments

• abody 8 34 004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 272
  • abody 8 34 005.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 256
always can be some parts swapped but there is a cast iron od box. trucks I think.

75 and early 76 A-body OD were cast iron. The cast iron ones also can be identified in the vehicle because the slip yoke is the large 833/727 type.

After they went aluminum they are more commonly found with smaller 904/3 speed slip yoke.

I also have a cast iron 75 A-body OD and they are some tough ODs ....in fact they are preferred if you want strength and no countershaft bushing issues like the aluminum.

To be 100% sure you can count the teeth on the gears

Attachments

• gearteeth.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 261
All OD boxes have the 3 - 4 shift lever upside down if they are put together right. Therefore, just rotate the shaft to find out. To do this

1.....Put the box into 3rd gear as if it were a 4 speed. To do that rotate the front shifter shaft CLOCKwise

2.....Rotate the front shaft carefully 1 full turn while watching the tailshaft.

If the tailshaft rotates MORE than 1 turn, it's an OD box

If the tailshaft rotates LESS than 1 turn, it's a conventional 4 speed

If you cannot tell, or it seems to be 1 turn, you screwed up and put it into 4th gear (4 speed) or 3rd gear (OD) in either case the "straight through" position.

thanks for the info.guys and gals.i guess I need to pay more attn. when I buy something.i paid 250.00 for it.think I can recoup my money?having a run of bad luck lately.i need a nap.lol

thanks for the info.guys and gals.i guess I need to pay more attn. when I buy something.i paid 250.00 for it.think I can recoup my money?having a run of bad luck lately.i need a nap.lol

You didn't get screwed by a long shot. ANY A-833 with a shifter goes for that much nowadays. I would actually prefer iron cases, they are stronger, or to put it another way, I certainly would not pay extra for an aluminum one.

What is it about this one that "you can't use it?"

You didn't get screwed by a long shot. ANY A-833 with a shifter goes for that much nowadays. I would actually prefer iron cases, they are stronger, or to put it another way, I certainly would not pay extra for an aluminum one.

What is it about this one that "you can't use it?"

Xs2 ...that is worth every bit of that price. That price would have been the first sign that its an OD ....a regular one to one is worth double that.

agreed the shifter w/rods is worth 150-200 mounting bracket is 40-50. That's damn near your money right there the trans was a bonus. Sell the trans for 250 and keep the shifter, rods and mount for when you find a non-OD.

Were you looking for the aluminum case OD when you purchased it? If so, Krazycuda had an aluminum main case available recently. I'm not sure if it's a direct swap from case to case.

no,i thought it was a regular 4spd.because of the cast case.that's why I bought it but forgot to check the bearing retainer.on the bright side,he sold me a drum to drum abody 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip ready to go for 300.00.guess I got nothing to whine about.just feel stupid cuz I should know better.

the correct SB V8 bellhousing for those are hard to find......I mean real hard to find

funny,ithought it would be easier to find a bellhousing.good info trapster.you speaking from experience?lol

That trans doesn't have the front shift arm inverted so it could be a regular 4 speed. Measure the od of the input shaft retainer and see if it is 4.80" or 5.125". I have two of the big bearing four speeds that are not overdrive and they have the 4.80" retainer. There are no small block bellhousing that fit them only big block.

PS. if you put it in any gear and the output spins faster than the input then it is an OD gearbox.

-
Back