833 rebuild questions

-

GearGrabber

Reaction score
So im about halfway done collecting parts for my 4 speed swap and i've picked up 2 non OD 833s. one codes out to be a 73 b/e body the other is a 71 a body unit. the a body unit has a blown 2nd gear and the b body one was gone thru about 10 years ago and sat on a shelf since then. My question is can i just swap the whole tailshaft from the a body unit to the b body one? and if so is there any special tools i need? very new to this and i was hoping to have a tranny to drop into this car without having to go through and rebuild one first. I will be rebuilding the a body unit eventually so i was also curious if anyone knew of a good book/manual that went through one of these step by step. Thanks in advance :)

The tail shafts and housing should interchange. As far a a good manual goes, I'd look for a "Motor's Manual". If you are on good terms with a repair shop around where you live, they may have one they will loan you or they may just give it to you. Good luck with your build.

Bill S.

You would have to take the transmissions apart to do the job so why not just fix the A-body one? You could sell the B/E body unit to fund the rebuild on the A-body trans.

im not sure, i just assumed the new gears and rebuild kit would amount to a lot more than i could even come close to making off the b body unit, and i was also thinking itd be nice to have a backup transmission later down the road when the car gets put back together.

just a tailshaft swap away... this is going to be a track only car so i was just thinking if i scattered the internals on one i could at least swap the tailshaft over to the spare to make the next weekends race. the only reason i asked the question was to find out how involved it is to swap them... if the entire transmission has to come apart then id agree its not worth keeping the b body unit, i just didnt know :(

Good thought but you'll have to decide whether it's worth the trouble to swap main shafts and extension housings.

-
Back