833 reverse pops out (1st post on board)

-

Valiantsignet20

Reaction score
My a-833 overdrive does not want to stay in reverse. I rebuilt it. Replaced all synchros and bearings and re-assemble it by the service book. Before I put it in the car I went through all the gears to check for shifting/meshing problems and everything was ok. It went trough all 4 gears fine and reverse droped and locked right also. The problem is when I put the tourqe of that 360 to it it wants to pop out of reverse. I have adjusted the linkage out to its limits but still no help. It is a 76 alluminum cased overdrive and I have the 64 ball and detent sideplate on it. Could it be something to do with the sideplate not allowing the gear to fully engage or the ball and detent on the reverse lever worn. If anyones had this problem before let me know becuase I'm tired of looking for pull through parking spaces. Thanks in advance.

Some of the overdrive transmissions had the detent hold on the reverse mechanism in the side cover (as I recall). I may have pics of it at home as I have one of those transmissions there now.

On mine its located just below the tail housing. It looks like the backup light switch if the plastic was broke off.

have you used this set up before? seems to me that I read somewhere that the early side covers dont work on the later trannys,, but i could be mistaken

That's what I was getting to. The later side covers did indeed have the reverse detent in them. If you don't have the correct pieces (two threaded pieces, spring, ball), including the reverse lever it won't work.

The sideplate only has a 1-2 fork and 3-4 fork with a ball and detent mechinism in between the two forks (2 balls, 1 spring). Thats what the 64 Plymouth manual shows and thats all I remember on the sideplate. The reverse fork is located in the trany housing itself below the sideplate and it has a ball and detent mechanism below to the left of the tailhousing with the parts like you described Jim.

I'm assuming that that is the problem then. Is there a way to adjust the tension on the spring by tightening the center threaded bolt or just replace the spring and ball.

As far as this working it is suggested in the Mopar Performance manual and I checked with Passon before ordering the new shift forks for the older side plate. It shifts alot better then the truck style plate and spring setup. Thanks for the help guys.

There is no adjustment to the detent. The spring could be worn out, the ball may have fallen if it was not installed correctly (outer piece first, then ball, spring, and retainer).

Jim Lusk said:
There is no adjustment to the detent. The spring could be worn out, the ball may have fallen if it was not installed correctly (outer piece first, then ball, spring, and retainer).

I agree....

-
Back