833 trans problems (4 speed)

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
Hello All,

I noted a grinding noise and vibration in the pedals and door post when the car is running in neutral with my foot off the clutch. When I press on the clutch the noise and vibration go away. I also noted the car occassionally jumps out of 3rd gear. I say throw out bearing.

What do you guys think? Should I also replace the pressure plate?

Where can I get the best price for these pieces?

Thanks

Back the adjustment off on the clutch and see if the noise dissapers.
My just have too much adjustment in it.

If the throw bearing is actually grinding, it has also damaged the pressure plate fingers.
Replace everything.
Take the inspection plate off and look up inside and see if you see metal filings.

Never seen a throw out bearing knock one outta gear. That's usually synchronizers.

Before you go to a bunch of work, check for loose bolts on trans to bellhousing and bellhousing to engine. Loose bolts could cause mis-alignment and vibrations.

Sounds like a combination of issues,

The grinding/vibration at an idle is probably the throwout bearing, or possibly the front bearing, both can cause that.

The popping out of third can be synchronizes, shifter linkage adjustment, bad bearing, or bad spot on a gear.

The front bearing is probably the most over looked part of an 833, they get almost as much abuse as the throwout bearing, and go out pretty frequent, it should be checked anytime you change the clutch, a bad pressure plate that has any loose parts, or a clutch disc that has uneven ware can cause it to go out very fast.

Can I get a part number for that front main bearing?

thx

Greg A

The grinding/vibration at an idle is probably the throwout bearing, or possibly the front bearing, both can cause that.

The popping out of third can be synchronizes, shifter linkage adjustment, bad bearing, or bad spot on a gear.

The front bearing is probably the most over looked part of an 833, they get almost as much abuse as the throwout bearing, and go out pretty frequent, it should be checked anytime you change the clutch, a bad pressure plate that has any loose parts, or a clutch disc that has uneven ware can cause it to go out very fast.

Well both main bearings are bad and there is some damage to the throw out bearing. We are going to replace all of them and the pressure plate.

-
Back