833 won't shift

-

bearwolf64

Bearwolf50
Reaction score
All

Just got done re-installing a 833 transmission back in our 1964 Valiant. After installing the linkage and shifter, I can get the shifter to do anything but go into reverse. I have take the linkage off the shifter, and the forward and
lower shifter r arm on the transmission work well. The middle shifter arm on the transmission doesn't seem to want to move.

Bear

You sure that the rods are on right? You may have one of them upside down!
even if both of the levers were flipped ,it would still engage ,just not the correct gear.Might be an issue in the side cover,had it on mine after we replaced the O-rings in the side cover and one of the forks got jacked ](*,) or the shifter itself could be jacked

Not sure if I got it right, if you disconnect the rods the middle arm doesn´t move. On the shifter mechanism or the tranny?

Swedefish

On the tranny. I took the rods off and could move two of the shifter mechanism on the tranny by hand. The middle one would move. With the rods disconnected I can move the shifter in all directions.

Bear

You have a Hurst? Should be a hole where you can put a 1/4" bolt clear through the shifter when in neutral. Then just hook everything up with that bolt in place and it should be aligned.

From the '72 shop manual

2dslcp2.jpg

2w39xn5.jpg

All

I figured it out. 67Dart273 you're right. The reserve shift arm was engaged and not letting the 1 &2 shift arm to move. Once I dis-engaged reverse, 1 & @ worked.

WHAT A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE we have on the site.....

THANKS ALL

One little problem solved....... 10001 to go....

-
Back