86 318 build

-

YoungGun74

Reaction score
Im just an 18 year old kid and i got a 86 318 for dirt cheap for my 74 dart. Anybody got any tips on getting power out of it? Any ideas will help a **** ton

First idea, limit curse's.

The 318 can be a real fun engine. I have done several of these little mills with spare parts to full rebuilds. the first issue with the 318 besides the lack of displacement is there low compression. Adding 360 heads for better flow and bigger valves is a good step, but, the large chambers kill what little compression you have. The heads will need to be milled down a good .060.

From here, basic hot rod parts can be installed and added on. The question of the day is, "How much power do you want and/or how fast do you want to go?"

Thanks a lot any info is good to me I know a decent amount but I'm still learning the ropes. Its my daily driver so I wanna go fast but not riduculously fast. I have a new intake with a thermoquad so far but I'm looking for any ideas

Is it a roller cam engine? Some of the '86 318's had roller cams and 302 heads. If that's the case, the 302 heads are a good head to work with. There are a ton of 318 threads on here. Are you doing a full rebuild on it? Or just looking for some bolt on power?

It has 302 heads on it. I'm just looking for some bolt on power. I'm paying for parts with a mcdonalds pay check haha. Its out of an 86 ramcharger so im pretty sure it is a roller motor

When I did my "On the Cheap Duster" project, I used Hooker headers, but the much more inexpensive headers from Summit racing would do well here. Combined with the Summit racing true dual exhaust kit, it is an excellent start to do.

Since you have an intake and a TQ carb, your pretty much set except for a cam. To figure this one out. I would like to know the following;

What intake manifold do you have?
What gear ratio and tire size will the car run when your done.
Is changing the torque converter to expensive. They are pricey things to upgrade to.

Remember, when you get a cam, bet the cam and lifter kit with the proper valve springs recommended by the cam manufacturer. Also a timing chain!
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

It's a stock cast manifold and the car has 225/70 14s on it but I dont know the gearing. I've only owned the car for 7 months. A torque converter is a little much for me now I'm just starting college so money is tight

Welcome to fabo. If it is a roller motor you can get your cam reground and reuse the lifters. A mild grind with the intake and TQ will wake your motor up a lot. if you are not planning on a stall converter and gears I would not go overboard with your cam selection. Your car will be fun to drive and much faster than stock but still be reliable. Build a bigger motor when you have more money. Good luck with your project and it was nice meeting you at maplegrove on sunday.

Doesn't take a lot to wake up a 318 as long as it has descent compression and doesn't smoke that is a good start. 600-670 vac sec holley, electronic ignition, headers, new timing chain, 2.25-2.5 dual exhaust is good for a starting point and will support more hp upgrades in the future.[ame="http://youtu.be/ybbnIu8P83s"]302 Found[/ame]

My barracuda, original 318/904. 670 street avenger, edelbrock performer intake, pertronix ignitor ignition, old cyclone long tube headers. 8.75 3.23 suregrip. Heads with small 1.78 1.4 valves, stock cam 0.393/.400 lift and with just a few bolt on it's a tire burner. I understand your budget, we've all been there. Take your time and come up with a combination that will work. Throwing the biggest cam or carb on at the beginning without setting up the rest of the motor and it will likely run worse. Good luck

The 318 in my car right now is wasted. I have another one that i can build or there is the possibility i can get a 360 for roughly $400 (needs to be rebuilt). Do you think i should just leave the 318 stock, drop that in and build a 360 instead?

850 double pumper, team G intake, .500 lift/ 256* @.050 on a 106 1 3/4" primary tube headers and keep the compression stock all runnin through a stock converter with 2.76 gears. lol

Sounds like you have a perfect starting point.

Here are two 318 builds to give you ideas of what you can do.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/viewall.html

I recommend popping the engine apart and seeing how it looks before you go any further. Get an idea of what shape the engine is in.

I just finished a 318 build using ideas from these articles. Starting with the 302 heads is a good thing from what my research turned up. I purchased the Keith Black 167 pistons and they, combined with the heads brought my compression up to a nice 9.5:1. I also installed one of the Comp Xtreme Energy cams (p/n escapes me right now). I put on a set of TTIs (pricey) and an Edelbrock airgap intake. The combo seems to work well so far.

The 318 in my car right now is wasted. I have another one that i can build or there is the possibility i can get a 360 for roughly $400 (needs to be rebuilt). Do you think i should just leave the 318 stock, drop that in and build a 360 instead?

IMO, this is the best way to go. Build a 360 on the side for later. When your ready, make the swap.
The 318 can be the test bed for fitments, for a verity of parts. Intake, carb and air cleaner, headers and exhaust can all be swapped over to the 360 when the time comes. While your "Testing" the parts for fit, HP will increase for the 318.

Now weather you do a 318 or a 360 for a final engine, that is your choice. I myself would do the 360. But build it on the side. You can even have it dyno'd before you drop it in. This way, you can work out any bugs, tune for max power and mileage. The engine will be broken in and ready to rock and roll.

Just remember that the 360 is an external balanced engine and the 318 is a internal balanced engine. If the 360 remains a external balanced engine, B&M sell a flex plate for cheap that will allow you to use the internal balanced converter without issue.

Why do you say your 318 is wasted? Is the other 318 a good motor? What year is that motor? Rebuilding a 360 won't be cheap. Put a small cam in a good running 318 with your intake and maybe the 302 heads and have a strong runner for a lot less than a complete build.

Engine Master has a build up on a stock long block 318 just cam, headers, intake and carb makes HP 282 @ 5000 Rpm and torque is 340 @ 3500 Rpm the main problem with the 318 is compression so you don't want to go with to big of a cam they used a Comp cam XE 262H and 650 holley M1 dual plane with 318 port size and headers also a shift kit and gears couldn't hurt.

I have the original 318 with 84,000 miles on it. It has a really hard rod knock in the bottom end and smokes like a pig when i fire it up. I have another 318 out of a 86 ramcharger which we believe is in good shape (have not broken down yet, doing it this weekend) which has 302 heads on it. I was talking to a good friend and he knows a guy who has a 360 (idk what year) and he said he would possible sell it to me for $400. I might do lite modification to the 86 318 and save the rebuild of the 360 till i am older and out of college

If its a good running 360 do the same things I said to do to the 318 but the same thing with the 318 careful of cam choice 360 are low compressions engines too.

850 double pumper, team G intake, .500 lift/ 256* @.050 on a 106 1 3/4" primary tube headers and keep the compression stock all runnin through a stock converter with 2.76 gears. lol

Thanks a LOT! I dang near spit my coffee all over the computer screen, LOL! :D

-
Back