87 360 build ideas?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
so the motor has just over 100k. the things i know i want on it is a edelbrock 600cfm carb and a perfromer rpm manifold. as for what else im not sure.

should i tear it down and send it to the machine shop? are stock pistons ok to use or should i go forged?

its going in a 70 dart with an auto trans. probably wont be raced regularly just some street night sessions but mostly street driven.

could you guys help me out.

thanks tom

I was leaning more towards 1500. If I went 3k I would have to wait another year to build.

You'll have 1500 in machine work alone.

Thats what i was afraid of. So if I did have 3k what would be a good combo to have as a motor? It will be behind a auto trans and between 3:73 to 4:10 gears.

Tom

I'd build a 360 the same as a stock 73 340. You can run anything like A/C and P/S and any accessories, never have to worry about premium gas, idle good in traffic in the summer, get somewhat decent mileage and be a blast to drive.

The real question is, "What do you want it to do and/or how much HP do you want it to make?"

On the cheap, so to speak, just a rebuild with decent pistons and prep'd heads with the stock valves. Add cam, headers, intake and carb, you'll be good to go and have fun.

Down the road, you can port the heads and add a larger cam to pick up some power.

Or find a Magnum 360.Swap cam,intake,and timing chain.Make 360 to 390 HP,call it a day.

it was started about 2 yrs. ago now and it ran fine no smole or knocks or ticks. 350 to 400 hp would be about where i want it. i already have this motor so i dont wanna get a magnum and have this one sitting around.

i will be running no a/c and manual steering.

tom

Then tear it down and see what you have. If you're really budget strained, just rering it re bearing it chunk a small cam in it throw headers intake and carb on it and go.

-
Back