GHOST RUSTERS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello FABO,

I am currently refreshing the front end on our 65 Barracuda and would like to find a stronger, decent pair of torsion bars. An ideal setup would be a pair of .87 or .89 torsion bars for the build… also open to any other options, advice or suggestions on the matter from those with more expertise than I.

Willing to pay for shipping or make the drive if within a reasonable distance.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! All the best and happy wrenching!

Last edited:
Are 65 torsion bars the same as 67 up?

A local guy has a set or two of 67 up very reasonably priced

Hi there thanks for reaching out. I believe so but could be very wrong… I think 67 was when 383s started showing up and the suspension was beefed up to accommodate as such… having said I think the length is the same for early As and it’s the strength that was changed… so I am looking for a pair a little sturdier than my torsion bars that are setup for a 273/ 2 barrel… as I’m building it into a 4 barrel…

Might I ask what the reasonable price might be? I’d have to know the numbers on the bars themselves to know for sure. In the meantime I’ll do some more research… thanks!

IMG_0143.jpeg

I believe all the A-body bars fit thhrough the years, they are just different diameters.
correct.

all of them are the same fit, so it doesn't really* matter if they're .850 or 1.03 diameter the lengths are all the same for a-body

(some of the larger aftermarket bars were manufactured with the clocking off, but this was some time ago. it's been fixed for quite awhile and i haven't heard of any problems out there and i've not experienced any on installs. but something to be aware of if buying used)

correct.

all of them are the same fit, so it doesn't really* matter if they're .850 or 1.03 diameter the lengths are all the same for a-body

(some of the larger aftermarket bars were manufactured with the clocking off, but this was some time ago. it's been fixed for quite awhile and i haven't heard of any problems out there and i've not experienced any on installs. but something to be aware of if buying used)
I appreciate the heads up and useful information. Thank you! Am I understanding that correctly that the strength of the torsion bar was determined by the engine HP/ torque as engines became larger and offered more power, larger diameter bars to accommodate that?

Hi there thanks for reaching out. I believe so but could be very wrong… I think 67 was when 383s started showing up and the suspension was beefed up to accommodate as such… having said I think the length is the same for early As and it’s the strength that was changed… so I am looking for a pair a little sturdier than my torsion bars that are setup for a 273/ 2 barrel… as I’m building it into a 4 barrel…

Might I ask what the reasonable price might be? I’d have to know the numbers on the bars themselves to know for sure. In the meantime I’ll do some more research… thanks!

Others who commented on interchangability are correct. ALL "A" body bars are interchangeable from '60 - '76. I like your choice of diameter if you have a front sway bar also. Without one, I'd buy the aftermarket 1.03 dia. Not a recommendation but rather my preference. But I don't mind a little tooth rattle or kidney shake if I hit a pothole with the large dia. bars. :)

I appreciate the heads up and useful information. Thank you! Am I understanding that correctly that the strength of the torsion bar was determined by the engine HP/ torque as engines became larger and offered more power, larger diameter bars to accommodate that?
Correct, but nowadays handling is also on the table. I'm putting 1.03 bars in a 66 slant Valiant for improved cornering and handling.

Well, kinda sorta......Heavy duty suspensions were options on most models. The higher horsepower cars came stock with heavier bars, but, other models could have them too. Go by the number on the end of the bar. What are the numbers on your existing bars? Thicker bars can have a dramatic effect with improved handling, especially with a front sway bar. It also effects the ride comfort for some people, so, that will be a matter of personal choice as to how thick a bar would be best for you. Cruise ship or skateboard, the choice is yours! :lol:

Others who commented on interchangability are correct. ALL "A" body bars are interchangeable from '60 - '76. I like your choice of diameter if you have a front sway bar also. Without one, I'd buy the aftermarket 1.03 dia. Not a recommendation but rather my preference. But I don't mind a little tooth rattle or kidney shake if I hit a pothole with the large dia. bars. :)
Good to know! And yes, I will be adding LWCs with tabs and a sway bar! Thanks for the feedback!

Well, kinda sorta......Heavy duty suspensions were options on most models. The higher horsepower cars came stock with heavier bars, but, other models could have them too. Go by the number on the end of the bar. What are the numbers on your existing bars? Thicker bars can have a dramatic effect with improved handling, especially with a front sway bar. It also affects the ride comfort for some people, so, that will be a matter of personal choice as to how thick a bar would be best for you. Cruise ship or skateboard, the choice is yours! :lol:
My torsion bars show “625” Which according to the chart I believe would be .85, if I am understanding correctly in going from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel and a sway bar, the .87 or .89 would be a decent change… not quite a 85 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and not quite a 91 Tercel haha! Thanks for the info and help!

IMG_0159.png

Might I ask what the reasonable price might be? I’d have to know the numbers on the bars themselves to know for sure
I'm pretty sure he has 1 sets of 892/3 and 2 sets of 890/1

50.00 for the pair.

I would be fine with being your Huckleberry.

Screenshot_20240911-170932.png

I can measure the pair I bought to be sure they fit your car. They are from 67-69 barracuda or dart

I'm pretty sure he has 1 sets of 892/3 and 2 sets of 890/1

50.00 for the pair.

I would be fine with being your Huckleberry.

View attachment 1716302081

I can measure the pair I bought to be sure they fit your car. They are from 67-69 barracuda or dart
Well alright DOC! That would be outstanding!

If we could first confirm the numbers on the 892/893 those would be exactly what I’m looking for in the chart for a 4 barrel V8 and make sure they’re the .87 that would be ideal and $50 for the pair would be more than fair!

no idea what shipping might cost and Not sure how troublesome they are to ship just please don’t let it be a hassle for you and please let me know however I can make it worth your while!

Thank you so much and keep me posted if there’s anyway I can help!

I'll contact the guy and make arrangements to buy them.

Pm me your contact info.

Seller is going to double check he has them and get back to me.

Last edited:
Follow through with Dana on this, but if it falls through, I have a couple sets of 892/893 bars, and I’ll sell em for $50 plus shipping if the deal falls through with Dana. For reference to Dana, I send bars in carpet tubes, 2 fit nice with a little padding, and don’t move around. My local carpet warehouse gives me the tubes for free, and I ship a lot of stuff in them.

Follow through with Dana on this, but if it falls through, I have a couple sets of 892/893 bars, and I’ll sell em for $50 plus shipping if the deal falls through with Dana. For reference to Dana, I send bars in carpet tubes, 2 fit nice with a little padding, and don’t move around. My local carpet warehouse gives me the tubes for free, and I ship a lot of stuff in them.
Thank you! I really appreciate that and that’s pretty darn clever using a carpet tube! I’ll stay in it with @Dana67Dart since he’s been so kind in doing all of the footwork, if anything falls through I’ll be in touch. Thank you so much!

Hey thank you! I’ve got @Dana67Dart working with me on a pair right now and he’s already done a lot of footwork so I want to commit and see that through but if it doesn’t work there or or with @cosgig who reached out as well I’ll let you know! I’ll be sure to keep this wanted ad up to date as to not mislead anyone. Thanks everybody!

Hey thank you! I’ve got @Dana67Dart working with me on a pair right now and he’s already done a lot of footwork so I want to commit and see that through but if it doesn’t work there or or with @cosgig who reached out as well I’ll let you know! I’ll be sure to keep this wanted ad up to date as to not mislead anyone. Thanks everybody!
No worries, Just offered them up. Both those guys are great to work with !

Thank you! I really appreciate that and that’s pretty darn clever using a carpet tube! I’ll stay in it with @Dana67Dart since he’s been so kind in doing all of the footwork, if anything falls through I’ll be in touch. Thank you so much
If you can get them for the same price (or less) and a sure thing, go for it, no skin off my nose.

Well I certainly don’t want to do anyone dirty here @Dana67Dart you’ve already put footwork in… we’ve got @cosgig in Michigan, @Dana67Dart in Colorado and @RAT ROD AL in Florida…

anybody here have a general idea in cost of shipping for torsion bars from where you might have shipped or received torsion bars in the past?

Just thinking about location wise to me here in North Dakota and the price difference of $40 vs $50 plus shipping… (so long as the bars are the .87 (892-893) and a L & R… it’s a win all the way around to replace what I’ve already got… thank you all for helping me get this far in figuring those numbers out alone…

Sorry guys I’m not sure what the right move here is, not trying to disrespect anyone or waste anyone’s time if you’re pickin up what I’m throwin down… any suggestions?

-
Back