'89 Injected 318 Camshaft

-

typopup

Reaction score
I have a 318 camshaft & roller lifters out of a 1989 B250. I know these engines are kind of in a grey era ... between a carbureted LA engine & a fuel injected Magnum 5.2L.

My question is: will this cam & lifter setup bolt right into a Magnum engine & if so, are there any modifications that need to be done first?

TIA

If your block is drilled for all the crap then yes.

I've seen several, probably 10-12 ruler blocks that came with flat tapped stuff in them.

Use the roller cam from the 318 and the magnum lifters? I'm guessing your trying to use the mechanical fuel pump snout so you can run a mechanical fuel pump on your magnum?

Use the roller cam from the 318 and the magnum lifters? I'm guessing your trying to use the mechanical fuel pump snout so you can run a mechanical fuel pump on your magnum?
I've got a very low mileage 318 '89 roller cam / lifters & there's a fellow looking for a stock cam for his '94 5.2L Magnum. I told him he could have these but then got wondering if the cam is compatible w/ the newer engine. So it's out of a fuel injected LA 318 & hopefully going into a fuel injected Magnum 5.2L ... hope that makes sense.

I've got a very low mileage 318 '89 roller cam / lifters & there's a fellow looking for a stock cam for his '94 5.2L Magnum. I told him he could have these but then got wondering if the cam is compatible w/ the newer engine. So it's out of a fuel injected LA 318 & hopefully going into a fuel injected Magnum 5.2L ... hope that makes sense.

Yup, I'm off my meds. And my rocker.

I think your '89 will have the cam snout, and may not work with the front of the magnum timing cover/chain .....

Why would they design the new magnum roller cam with a long snout fuel pump eccectric when everything was tbi?

I think the cam would work no problem but I would be careful with the lifters in their new bores and keep the retainers with lifters in order of the cam to match as many worn surfaces. If you're interested, you can regrind the oem cam to the efi limit and run longer pushrods. Easy $200 power in a combo.

Why would they design the new magnum roller cam with a long snout fuel pump eccectric when everything was tbi?

I think the cam would work no problem but I would be careful with the lifters in their new bores and keep the retainers with lifters in order of the cam to match as many worn surfaces. If you're interested, you can regrind the oem cam to the efi limit and run longer pushrods. Easy $200 power in a combo.
Magnum cams don't have a long snout.... but the TBI (88-91) cams did that I've seen

Long snout is for engines with mechanical fuel pump - the longer snout allows for the fuel pump eccentric to be bolted on...

EFI with electric fuel pump engines do not need the fuel pump eccentric and long snout...

Mechanical fuel pumps were first, therefore they had the long snout, then removed it when they switched to EFI....

Long snout is for engines with mechanical fuel pump - the longer snout allows for the fuel pump eccentric to be bolted on...

EFI with electric fuel pump engines do not need the fuel pump eccentric and long snout...

Mechanical fuel pumps were first, therefore they had the long snout, then removed it when they switched to EFI....
So w/o me looking at my cam, should a pre-Magnum factory fuel injected 318 cam have the snout?

So w/o me looking at my cam, should a pre-Magnum factory fuel injected 318 cam have the snout?

Yes... I believe it will if it came out of a mechanical fuel pump engine...

Look at the timing chain cover to see if it has a mechanical fuel pump or if it's blocked off for a clue....

Mechanical fuel pump should have a snout, blocked off fuel pump on timing cover should not have snout....

Yes... I believe it will if it came out of a mechanical fuel pump engine...

Look at the timing chain cover to see if it has a mechanical fuel pump or if it's blocked off for a clue....

Mechanical fuel pump should have a snout, blocked off fuel pump on timing cover should not have snout....
This has an LA timing cover but the mechanical fuel pump mount has been blocked off.

This has an LA timing cover but the mechanical fuel pump mount has been blocked off.

Then it may not have a snout...

"Can you remove the block off plate and look or probe inside to feel or see a fuel pump eccentric, or maybe pull the timing cover to be sure....

Then it may not have a snout...

"Can you remove the block off plate and look or probe inside to feel or see a fuel pump eccentric, or maybe pull the timing cover to be sure....
I've got a hydraulic flat tappet cam here somewhere & the hydraulic roller cam is loose so I'll put them side by each & compare. Appreciate the help!!

I don't recommend getting a roller cam from Hughes...

I ordered one for our 91 360 and told them specifically that I wanted the one with the nose for the mechanical fuel pump... They decided to send me the one with out the nose and add the $30 "Nose adapter" with it... The nose adapter is engineered for **** - I don't like a small 1/8" cube of aluminum being the only thing keeping it from rotating.... Nice of them to send me the wrong part along with an adapter to pump up the sale price after I specifically told them that I would wait for the proper part if it wasn't in stock.... :icon_fU: :icon_fU: :icon_fU:

I won't give them any more business after that.... :mad:

My 88 318 in my D250 had the fuel pump blocked off....I changed out the TBI to a carb and installed a mechanical fuel pump the eccentric was there....SO just because it is blocked does not necessary mean the eccentric is not there...get a mirror and look...

another thing about the premagnum lifters....do they oil thru the pushrods cause the LA roller cam engines still oiled thru the heads....

I don't recommend getting a roller cam from Hughes...

I ordered one for our 91 360 and told them specifically that I wanted the one with the nose for the mechanical fuel pump... They decided to send me the one with out the nose and add the $30 "Nose adapter" with it... The nose adapter is engineered for **** - I don't like a small 1/8" cube of aluminum being the only thing keeping it from rotating.... Nice of them to send me the wrong part along with an adapter to pump up the sale price after I specifically told them that I would wait for the proper part if it wasn't in stock.... :icon_fU: :icon_fU: :icon_fU:

I won't give them any more business after that.... :mad:

Here's a funny story.

I have run many, many Milodon gear drives on small block mopars. Just never used a mechanical fuel pump. Always used MFI or carbs and electric pump.

So I'm doing my engine with a gear drive and mechanical pump and I need to fit the eccentric. The easiest way I could find was to use the Hughes adapter. To make it all fit I had to machine the face of the eccentric off about .200 IIRC and then used the adapter to make it all fit.

For that, the adapter worked well.

I really wish Chrysler would have left it:
- carbureted ... LA engine,
- fuel injected ... Magnum engine,
and never mixed them up like in that late 80's early 90's era!!

Thanks for all of your responses folks!!

-
Back